When to add new kitty?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

When to add new kitty?

Post by KittyWitty »

So guys, Comet is getting a sister! We haven't chosen her yet so everything is still a little up in the air (shhh Comet doesn't know!) but we are wanting to wait until after he has been spayed which is happening on the 9th June.

How long should we wait before bringing new girl home? We have a spare room which will be her safe haven while the introductions happen so that is no problem, we will be playing it safe...will see how things go before we properly introduce them face to face but roughly how long after his op should we wait? Will new kitty being in spare room be detrimental to his healing say a week after op? Or should we wait longer than that?

Any advice on the subject will be greatly appreciated!
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: When to add new kitty?

Post by Jacks »

I've not been in this situation personally but as a neuter is such a small op for a boy and he is such a young boy, I would think he would recover at least as fast as any older cat and there would not be a lengthy period whilst the hormones subsided.

I would say leave it a couple of weeks and then introduce the little lady to the home. x
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

This all depends on how he feels. of the when and hows. If she is the personality for him. You don't know until you do it. Cowboy was done young too and he just came out of the carrier after his surgery not grouchy and hurt. Some cats when they hurt they want to slap everyone around them. You know Comets personality best.
My cowboy is stable and no rage.
Then there is the other factor, her.
What she will think and react to strangers.
He has to be as calm as possible. They do have new stitches now.
Recovery maybe a piece of cake
jill
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

How exciting!! I think the little fella might know already, actually. Hehehe!

I don't think the little girl being in her safe room would upset his healing. As Jackie says, the operation is straightforward for the boys and he will be home safe with Mummy and Daddy.
Although, as you say, the introductions have to be done steadily, there's no need to delay her arrival for too long afterwards - Jackie's suggestion of two weeks sounds good, and as Jill says, if it is all a piece of cake for him, she could arrive after a week so he starts getting used to her sweet fragrance!

We can't wait to meet her, and we know there'll be an outpouring of welcome for her on DDDD! To think there's a little girl out there who doesn't know it yet, but who can start to get excited soon about her forever home. Bless her!

Fusses to your little boy, and well done to you for persuading OH. (I managed it three times, but have to back off now!) Hope your new job is going well and the wait for your degree results is not too stressful.
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Comet does bounce back very quickly after the vet, even with his jags when they are meant to make kitty drowsy, he wasn't that bad! Just cuddled in for a little while then was back to his usual crazy self! But we'll see how he is, I *think* he'll be fine but you never know, eh?

Oh no, has he mentioned her on DDDD?! Ninja cat! He gets everywhere! Oh well haha. Well he doesn't know THIS - we may have found a little girl!!! She will be 3 weeks on Friday so will not be coming home for nearly 2 months, that means that Comet has plenty of time to enjoy having us all to his self and to heal properly and calm down before girly comes home! But it isn't set in stone just yet and I am very wary of going through same situation as with Comet, thinking he was a she etc...

I was thinking that when she does come home, she'll be in spare room for maybe a week or so, from the on set I will brush Comet and get some of his fur for the room, same with girly. Also fed them on different sides of the door at the same time. Few days in, carry Comet into room or carry girly out of room? Then let them meet on floor maybe 5 days or a week after arrival?

Anything else I could do? Or should change? I really do not want to rush this process but at the same time don't want it to take weeks as I will hopefully take a week or two off of work to do this all!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Yup we HAVE found a little girl! 3 weeks on friday and a lil ginger kitty!

some pictures foster mummy gave us :)
Attachments
10394800_475457325920342_1230650209146236382_n.jpg
(66.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
10351765_475457329253675_591649311406346299_n.jpg
(76.05 KiB) Not downloaded yet
10302053_475457312587010_7079261324943957306_n.jpg
(49.06 KiB) Not downloaded yet
10299074_475457345920340_4591074463300579973_n.jpg
(86.11 KiB) Not downloaded yet
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Going to visit little girl on Friday the 30th. Fingers crossed she is actually a she and not a he...

I am actually really stressed about this process not that it has begun :lol: I am most stressed about the sex, if we end up with another boy I really do not know how Comet would cope with that, all I have read has said to get a cat who is opposite sex and younger than your current cat.

I need to go calm down...
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

if she turns out anything like my ginger girl, she'll soon show Comet whose boss, and he will meekly accept it, and spend the rest of his life trying (unsuccessfully) to make friends with her :)
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Oh Kay, I don't know what I'd do if they didn't become friends! I am hoping that with their ages that they'll adapt really well, I know she will as she will be coming straight from her kitty mummy and litter mates but by the time she arrives Comet would have been away from kitty mummy and litter mates for 14 or 15 weeks! :?
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

He will love her, I'm sure! My feral Jessie was 4.5 months when I took her in. She had NO litter mates (the others must have died) and her mother disappeared. I introduced Lara, then about 4.5 months, to her when she was about 6-7 months old. She was terrified at first, I think not knowing what this strange creature was! She hid, growling, for hours.

Within three days they were pals. Your little Comet is a perfect age to become acquainted with a newcomer. Give them time, if they need it, and keep calm and happy yourself. They will be fine. The new little girl, if she has been in a litter, will initiate play and this was what Lara did - it very quickly won the day. x
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Aw I can't wait to see them together. It'll be so cute!

We have decided on a name!!!! She will be called...Whisky! (as in the drink) :)
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Surly if the mum and kitts are with a rescue they will know the sex of the kittens!!??

How old will she be when you visit?
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

They are with foster mum

She'll be 4 weeks when we first visit, then we'll have a few more visits after that
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Just catching up properly with this news :D

How exciting. I am sure that Comet will adapt just fine as long as the introductions are done at a pace which is right for them both (there's no right or wrong about this)

Mum looks like she's very young :( I wish we didn't always have to bang on the same old message

BTW I have a soft spot for ginger cats having had one as a child/teenager. He was my trauma years sole mate :lol:

Looking forward to meeting her :D
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

New photo of ickle Whisky :)

We went to meet her on Friday and definitely seems to be girl! And is growing really well :)
Attachments
10374010_480698908729517_8962476739857387490_n.jpg
10374010_480698908729517_8962476739857387490_n.jpg (34.21 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
PeanutsFriend
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 8

Post by PeanutsFriend »

When I first saw the pic I gasped, oh God.
What a cutie. Lucky you.
Jill
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh my! That ickle girl! She is so lovely. How exciting for you!

Val is right - Mum looks like a baby herself. She is very beautiful, with amazing colouring. I hope there's a lovely forever home lined up for her soon. She deserves it!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

new photo of miss Whisky :)

Yes when we went to visit last week mum did seem to be pretty young she is 2 years old at the most - fosters are keeping her and found out the full story of where she came from. It was actually the fosterer's ex husband that had kitty, he gave her up then they took her in, found out she was pregnant and now here we are!

Poor girl has been through a rough time but now she has found her forever home!
Attachments
10391440_483530321779709_6434518545286865591_n.jpg
(65.8 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

Whisky is so cute :) I hope the little blackies have homes too!!
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Lyn from Australia wrote: Whisky is so cute :) I hope the little blackies have homes too!!
I know that at least 1 of the black kitties have a home (a girl), both ginger kitties have homes (both girls) and the last 2 black boy kitties will (fingers crossed) find good homes too! I am sure they will because they are just gorgeous!!!!

I would take them if I could but my 2 bed flat is not big enough for 4 cats! lol
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Oh, how I would love those little blackie boys!! I feel that we are 'called' to care for older kitties who have fallen on hard times, but I would so adore two little baby boys like those. We would call them DiNozzo and McGee. I suspect they would drive our three up the wall though, especially Pepsi and Lou Lou, (Edgar might be a rather good big bruvver) and OH would lose what little hair he has left!