Advice needed on a rehoming.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Advice needed on a rehoming.

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey guys,

I haven't been around in a while. Work has made it so that I wake early and go to bed late and honestly I haven't found a lot of time to really respond to anyone's posts on here, although I do occasionally read the threads on the metro.

However I could use some advice from you all if you will allow. My cat, as you may remember, has been pretty anti other cats ever since we got her. (It's also the reason we got her, she wouldn't play nice with the collegue's tabby).
So that has prevented us from adopting or fostering.
However a conundrum has come up. A good friend of ours has to go back home to Sweden at the end of August. She's been offered a very high paying job close to her family doing exactly what she loves. But she can't take her cat Lola. The new apartment she's renting won't allow it and her dad is allergic to cats so homing Lola at her folks place is out of the question.
Lola is 6 years old and has lived as a lone house cat for her entire life since my friend rescued her as a kitten. She's a lovely soul and it breaks my heart that she'll have to go to a shelter. My friend and I have been trying to persuade our friends to adopt her but all of them either have enough hassle with their own pets or don't want to be bogged down.
Posing my question: Do you think it's worth trying to see if Lola and Sofi get along? We don't have the luxury of a large space so there isn't a way to separate the two of them unless I shut Lola in our room and my BF and I sleep in the living room (not an ideal situation as we currently have a roommate). I think if they do get along it will be great as Sofi won't cry anymore (she gets lonely very easily) and Lola with have a new friend to sleep against. Sofi is very Alpha, whereas Lola is so laid back I'm amazed she doesn't slide to her destination of choosing.
I would like this to work but I also don't want to potentially terrify a wonderful cat that (given the chance) could have a great home elsewhere. But I am also aware that 40% of rescued cats in Barcelona have to be put down because no one wants them.

So I'm asking you guys. What do you think? If it all works out we get an addition to our lovely furry family. If not, I'm worried that Lola will be traumatized or physically hurt by Sofi's strong aggression and therefore be harder to rehome.

A picture of the lovely young lady for you all (She's looking a little derpy today)
http://imgur.com/gZPd87g

Mine, curled up like a happy puss puss.
http://imgur.com/sHCgB6E

Thanks for any advice anyone gives.

I hope you all are having a lovely weekend.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Advice needed on a rehoming.

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Mrs Kane as you would guess I'd encourage you to try Lola & Sofi. Now that Sofi's a tad older she may be more accepting. Keep us posted. And the pics are gorgeous. Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

The way I see it is that if you don't try, you'll never know. If you can, it would be worth a week or two of discomfort to try and give the two ladies the best shot at settling down with each other, but I would have a clear plan in mind as to what you'll do if they hate each other. Best of luck - Lola looks gorgeous and that pic made me laugh! Sofi always looks gorgeous. :)
Joe_Danger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Joe_Danger »

You are a good cat owner, always have been.
If you can't make this work then no one can, it will simply mean she really does need to be an only cat but you should definitely give it a try and give them a few weeks to adjust.

I'm nowhere near as experienced as you guys when it comes to cats and I've had pretty good luck with mine re-accepting Casper after 3 months, but my advice is, make sure they both smell the same. I put a bit of vanilla on all 3 of their bums and I feel that helped them out immensely during Casper's initial re-introduction to his mom and sister. We didn't have the time or means to do a slow and gradual introduction as it should be done so I had to improvise as best as I could.
We have little room too so separating them wasn't much of an option either.

IF you can do a slow introduction before your friend leaves definitely give that a shot, if needed swap carriers and objects the cats rub off or lay on often so they get used to each other's semll remotely and all that, you know these things better :)

I really hope the new cat and yours end up getting along, this new one deserves a good, loving and warm home
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Thankyou everyone for the wonderful support and advice, particularly Joe_danger :)

My boyfriend isn't so set on the idea as he feels more harm than good would come to both cats if we tried to house them together. Don't get me wrong, he loves Lola. He's known her since she was rescued, (whereas I met her when she was a year old) and would love to have her as Lola loves him to bits and is always super pleased to see him when we see our friend. He just has a gut feeling about this.
There's still 2 months to go so I have a feeling we're going to be having many late night chats over the week about this for a possible trial stay for Lola and also (if all goes well) a permanent home as well and what that would entail. (Litter boxes, general space and power struggles to name a few)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

All good advice there - I agree you should give it a go - sooner rather than later. I really hopes it works out for you.

BTW lovely photo's, Sofi looks to be SUCH a mummy's girl. :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

If you have two months before they move, I'd give it a go soon which gives them chance to find an alternative if it doesn't work out. It's hard to say if it will or not, it depends on the personalities
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey guys,

We decided to try a slow technique to trial both cats and I put Lola's carrier and 2 of her stuffed toys around the living room. The result: utter pandemonium!
Sofi went berserk over the new scent and hid behind my sock drawer and refused to come out. That was around 8-9 hours ago. She still hasn't come out. :( The plan was to put Lola's tray in tomorrow. I don't think this is going well.

EDIT: I gave my friend Sofi's carrier and two of her favourite toys. Lola was aloof. (My friend just texted me for an update)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well, not an ideal reaction, but it does show that you're probably wise to try the long approach. She will come out eventually. :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Update: Litter tray moved in (my friend bought a cheap one for Lola for the short term).

Sofi is still upset and doesn't seem very happy about the new additions. She's out from behind the drawers though.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I forgot to update this. Sorry guys.

So the long and short of it: Nothing happened.

Lola found a new home with my friend Giacomo (pronounced Jackamo) and we moved all of Lola's stuff into his place. She seems to have settled in quite well, although she keeps laying on his feet and then bites them when he wants to move. I recommended getting thick socks :P And she still only drinks from the tap and won't even consider the new water bowl we got her. Darn cats are so picky!

Once I work out how to upload it I'll share a video for you guys of her drinking from the tap. It's really cute.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That sounds like a good result for all, I hope they are very happy together! :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Tbh I'm kinda relieved. Even though I wanted Lola to live with us I had a horrible feeling in my gut that it wouldn't work out. Sofi is so protective of her space all the time and even objects to the cat one floor down from us because she can see him strolling through the community patio through the window.

I would like to foster in the future so hopefully we can keep trying to insert foreign smells into Sofi's environment until it's not an issue. *fingers crossed*

At least this way we get to visit Lola still :D I would have hated for her to end up with some nobody. Especially seeing as Giacamo doesn't mind my hideous misuse of Spanish.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Mrs Kane good outcome & Lola's gone to someone you know. :) Vivian