Do your cats yawn when you talk to them?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Do your cats yawn when you talk to them?

Post by MarkB »

I don't know if it is the tone, but usually it seems to happen if I am talking quietly, telling them what a pretty girl/handsome boy they are :lol:

Clapton used to do it, Dom and Ingrid also do it. It is 'almost' as if you are embarrassing them
- or maybe it is 'boring, tell me something I don't know already' :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Do your cats yawn when you talk to them?

Post by Lilith »

I've never noticed it with any of mine, but cats aren't rude like some humans - I reckon they just feel relaxed/soothed by your voice and start to chill...and yawn contentedly... :)
SMITHER
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by SMITHER »

Yes my boys do it and always wondered why. they are so funny. they usually do this when i am talking to them for example - i ask them Do u love your Mummy? and all i get is a huge yawn with a meow in there somewhere, so i hope they do love their mummy. :lol: :lol:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

My ex-feral Peaches used to yawn at me all the time. She taught me a lot about cat body language and cat manners, and I understood from her that a yawn is a sign of being relaxed and non-aggressive, to make sure that the other cat/person understands that the yawner is not a threat. Sort of a bit like blinking. It works for me too, I now use yawning as well as not facing cats square-on and looking away from them when I deal with nervous and feral cats.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes Mark, Bobby does it all the time! I say 'what's up Bob, am I boring you?' He yawns right into my face when I am taking to him. :roll: Perhaps he is just one happy cat that loves his mummy? :lol:

Helen - I use 'Kitty Kisses' all the time with cats I don't know (I know, strange woman). Owners will tell me 'oh, 'kitty' doesn't usually like strangers', as their cat sits in my lap.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Yep, I use 'kitty kisses' all the time too! :)

And yet I still sometimes wonder where the whole 'mad cat lady' thing comes from ........ :P
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yeh, odd that isn't it! :lol:

Right now I can go one better. I'm the mad cat lady with a Jackdaw on her head. Beat that! (I know, why would you want to?)
Grace56
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Grace56 »

Yawning, slow blinking and looking slightly away from the cat signals your friendly intentions. If he/she does it back, it means they are relaxed around you. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I suspect that if I tried the 'kitty kisses' with a bird on my head I'd have to brace myself for a low-flying Daz! :P
Alan1951
New Cat Chatter

Post by Alan1951 »

When I took Sunshine in for annual shots yesterday I asked Dr Gib: Q: I told him Cyrus often yawns when I talk to him and I wonder if it is because he is frustrated that he can’t understand me. ANS: the Dr said it is not that, yawning is a sign of contentment and submission.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat »

Alan1951 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 5:31 am When I took Sunshine in for annual shots yesterday I asked Dr Gib: Q: I told him Cyrus often yawns when I talk to him and I wonder if it is because he is frustrated that he can’t understand me. ANS: the Dr said it is not that, yawning is a sign of contentment and submission.
Your vet is talking dog, not cat. Cats don't do submission with contentment. Cats submit when they lose and are anything but contented about it. Dogs submit to a senior and know their place in the pack. Cat society is a whole lot more complex.

Nobody really knows why cats yawn but we all know they look relaxed and contented when they do so that's a fair guess, especially as there is often a wash straight after the yawn. The real purpose of yawning is to take in more air but that's just a boring explanation.