leaving cat while on vacation

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
cowboytoast
New Cat Chatter

leaving cat while on vacation

Post by cowboytoast »

some of you may laugh - but i'm leaving my pal Bamboozler the Cat at home while i go to a wedding - my brother has promised to look in on her and feed her daily - but i have an immense guilt about leaving her - i don't want her to flip out and think i've abandoned her or for her to be upset -

this cat showed up at my door on the day my Mom passed away - and she was close to death herself and now she looks like a baby lion - (longhaired Calico)

i always leave the TV on for her while i'm not tehere and make sure she has plenty of food and water etc - but i cant help but feel sad about leaving her to it

i'm leaving later this week and i guess i just wanted some feedback - i imagine some may think this is a dumb question or perhaps i am dumb -

thanks for any feedback
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: leaving cat while on vacation

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome, I don't think you're dumb at all, you just love your cat - and this sounds like a perfect short-term arrangement - Bamboozler stays in her own familiar surroundings and has someone she knows coming in daily to care for her needs.

Something else you could do is to leave an item of clothing you've worn but not washed - say a T shirt - in her favourite sleeping spot. Many cats like their human's clothing as a 'comfort blanket'. One of mine took my socks hostage the other day lol. :roll:

Enjoy the wedding :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Not a dumb question; there are quite a few people who - like you - find it really hard going away on holiday and leaving their pet in the care of someone else. But I assure you she'll be just fine; esp if your brother is coming round to feed her etc. I know it's not what most cat owners want to hear but cats tend to be more location loyal vs human loyal and I bet you'll miss her more than she will you whilst you're away ;)

How long are you away for? And is there any way your brother could maybe pop in either 2x a day or maybe even stay over one of the nights?
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Its perfectly normal to feel like you do. We put our cat Theo in a recommended cattery when we went on a weeks holiday and I,ll never do it again. He's a complicated boy anyway but he was so unhappy. Didn't hardly eat and hid at the back of his pen the whole time the lady said. When we picked him up he looked terrified. So this last weekend we had 3 days away and left him here. My mum and sister took turns to call in and feed him. They stayed a couple of hours and even though he stayed upstairs he knew they were here (he popped his head round the door a couple of times) . He was quite happy in his own surroundings and when we came home he bounced down the stairs to greet us with his usual toss overs and rolling over. It was lovely to see him happy, not like when he was in the cattery. He probably did miss us because he's very spoilt and has us wrapped around his "paw* but at least he was safe in his own place. I find it so amusing that when we are away we keep talking about him and saying *wonder what Theos doing*. Just like we say about our grandchildren.
cowboytoast
New Cat Chatter

Post by cowboytoast »

well thank you both - as my heart has lightened in weight reading this -

even though my brother isn't a fan of cats - she likes him and he respects her - or at least she doesnt run and hide when he comes in like with other people-

she has limits with other people though - her favorite thing to do with me is fall over and have me grab her stomach - which in most cases is a no no with cats - so - obviously we have developed a bond - if someone else tried that they may require stitches - but i guess some of my guilt lies in that sort of thing - it's like a ritual with her as i get up and get ready for work (is this too much info hahaha)

my brother is a postal carrier - so depending on his route he may be able to pop in more than once - but probably once a day - as for staying over - his wife and half Great Dane/Bloodhound mix probably wouldn't go for it -

i'll be gone for about a week - hopefully when i get back she will be normal - or only hold a grudge for a day or so

i thank you for your kind advice
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

cowboytoast wrote:or only hold a grudge for a day or so
:lol: :lol: prepare yourself for feline sulks... they're masters at that!
cowboytoast
New Cat Chatter

Post by cowboytoast »

Meriad your cat in the picture could be Bamboozler's relative
Attachments
bambam.jpg
bambam.jpg (16.95 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Theo had his "rituals" too. Lol :D My daughter always says he has OCD. He comes to play at the exact same times each day. And waits at his food cupboard at the same time morning and night. He even has "his place" on the couch and if I sit there he sits on the floor in front of me tapping my leg till I move.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

Well I'm not laughing at you for feeling that way about leaving Bamboozler. Feel much the same whenever I have to leave Tilly!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi the black paw ... You left me don't speak to me until I forgive you. :lol: :lol: Vivan
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

My sister has her in-laws call in to see to her cat whilst she’s away. She goes to the Lakes about 3 or 4 times a year, a week at a time and they see to Sid for her. He’s fine and he’s a nervous cat so at first they had them round a few nights before the went. She’s just been actually. I am sure your cat will be fine too.
nanny pamy wrote:Theo had his "rituals" too. Lol :D My daughter always says he has OCD. He comes to play at the exact same times each day. And waits at his food cupboard at the same time morning and night. He even has "his place" on the couch and if I sit there he sits on the floor in front of me tapping my leg till I move.
Talking of rituals, my cat goes out at the same time every morning and comes in for a bite, cuddle and lick of her Meow rainbow at 10 am. Then in and out until 1ish then takes herself off to bed!
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

cowboytoast wrote:Meriad your cat in the picture could be Bamboozler's relative
Bamboozler is gorgeous. The cat in my avatar is Ava, she's a Norwegian Forest Cat and such a diva! :lol:
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Your gorgeous girl will be fine. The time will pass much more slowly for you than for her. We have cat sitters when we go away and no one bears a grudge when we get back - they are always happy to see mummy and daddy.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Believe me, I feel just as guilty when we go away too. But I think it worries us more than them most of the time.

Our Sofi is going to be left this August with our good friend Camila (who is rooming in our flat temporarily) when we fly to the US to see my soon-to-be step parents. Although Sofi loves Camila I can't help but feel a little guilty for leaving Sofi behind. I expect her to be marmite when we come back. Either she loves us or...... well you get the gist.

Doesn't help that I'll be flying to the UK a day after we come back from the US... It was the only good time and price I could go home because Christmas is out of the question.

EDIT:

I made this post all about me. :( Bad me. I always hate people that do that as well. I'll try and word this better tomorrow when I'm more awake and make my own post about travelling. Expect edits/removal.