My cat scratching and meowing at night

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Sherise
New Cat Chatter

My cat scratching and meowing at night

Post by Sherise »

Hi my family needs advice we have a 1.5 year old male desexed tabby cat. For a while now he has beed scratvhing and clawing our door frames and doors and continually meowing at night. It usually begins not too long after everyone goes too bed and continues on and off throughout the night waking us up and making it hard too get back too sleep. We need some advice on what we can do to curve this behraviour. We feel he could be looking for attention or something.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: My cat scratching and meowing at night

Post by Lilith »

Hi there and welcome. Sorry to hear about your bad lad.

There are differing opinions on this sort of behaviour and I know that what I'm suggesting isn't to everyone's taste, but have you tried just leaving the bedroom doors open? If he knows he can get to you he may simply shut up and settle down. I admit I leave all my doors open simply for the sake of peace lol - but it does work :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Mrs Kane »

I would cater three options, the third being a "only if you think it's something you can deal with" scenario. The first being my personal preference:

First option
Let your cat into your bedroom. I know it sounds like a pain to have him in the bed but believe me you'll soon get used to it. Cats get lonely at night. (Bear in mind it's when they're most alert, so no company is bound to make them depressed!) Sure it's a tremendous pain to clean up that extra fur off the duvet and bedroom carpet/flooring but your cat will be so much more content by having the option to be with you through the night. Whether it be by the bed, under it or on it. (Mine is still sleeping with me despite the horribly hot weather. That's commitment!) If you allow access to your room(s) when you're awake that's extra torture for a cat. Because all your smells are in there. That horrible salty sweat smell we hate? Cats love! It's our natural deodorant and how they know us individually! And where better to find that but in the bedroom! Your cat has bonded with you and is sad when you won't let him be with you. Thus, he cries.

Second option
Make sure your cat is in a sealed environment like the hallway or large bathroom/kitchen/spare room where he has access to food, water, his litter box and a nice place to sleep. This isn't always viable I'm aware. But if you can put 2 doors between your cat and you at night you will definitely sleep better.
I used to do this with Sofi when we first got her and she'd cry at night. I didn't think opening the bedroom door would be the answer so I closed the living room door, leaving her in the hallway with everything she needed, thereby silencing her (in theory).
Cats do quiet down when they think they won't get a response. So if you REALLY don't want your boy in your bed then you need to tolerate the cries and deal. Cats learn through response. If you're always out telling him to shut up or trying to get him to sleep, playing after hours, etc, he will see that as a positive reaction. He's getting attention.
(Quick note, sometimes your cat is crying for a reason, I learnt this to my detriment when I found Sofi's bowl against the living room door. I'd forgotten to feed her before I went to bed.)

Third non recommended version
Get another cat. Your boy is still young and could benefit another cats presence to keep you company while you snooze. It's not a valid reason for me to get a cat, but if he seems lonely a lot while you aren't around I'd consider the option. Some cats need company. Others do just fine.

PS: Some say tiring out a cat before bed is the option. A solid 20 minute play will leave a cat snoozing for a good hour or two. But if this problem is stretching into the stupid O'clock then play simply isn't the answer.

I really hope this helps you out. From one cat owner to another: I know your pain.
Sherise
New Cat Chatter

Post by Sherise »

Thanks guys my door is always open but we do have a tenterfield terrier and she is now 1 year old and they are the best of friends but he wont stay in my room. I think I am going to have to try and get my children to leave their doors open and see if that makes a difference.