She does make me laugh

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

She does make me laugh

Post by meriad »

Abbie is at vet today. She's lost quite a bit of weight since December and two initial blood tests have been rather inconclusive and the only thing they've shown is a raised white blood cells count; everything else is quite normal. So today she had to go in for two additional tests, one of which needed her to be starved from last night.

Now, Abbie is an outdoor cat - this time of year when the weather is nice she will come in, eat - maybe allow a fuss and a cuddle - and then head straight out again and there are times when I don't get to see her for a few days. Thankfully she did come home for dinner last night after which she was quickly nabbed locked in the lounge. This morning she was extremely disgruntled - I'm still not sure if she was more upset about being kept inside or no food :D :D :D but I did get a good few unhappy noises from her on the way to the vet

She'll be happy to be outside again this evening no doubt :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: She does make me laugh

Post by Lilith »

Aww bless her!

I know that look - Just can't get the staff round here! Going to complain to the management!

She might appreciate you tonight after a boring day at the vet's - do hope all's well, all paws here crossed :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Awwww poor Abbie, I'm sure she will be so glad to get home that she'll forgive you! :D

I hope you get to the bottom of what's up, give her a fuss from me. If she's speaking to you! ;)
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

Elevated white blood cells sounds like she's fighting something, but that's probably a good sign.

As your garden is cat-proofed, hopefully she'll be allowed to go out soon.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hey Meriad, how did Abbie go on?

Paws crossed :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

apologies for the delay in updating and thank you for asking.

well the vet called last Friday with the results and bottom line is..... nawt wrong that they can see. They did say that since the previous weigh in and the one when she went in to the vet for the day she had gained 120gr so that was good going. The only thing I have been doing different is that I have been feeding her a higher meat content wet food. In the past all cats would get Felix AGAIL and she's never had a problem with; so whether it's that or not I don't know.

So for the next two weeks I'm going to keep up the feeding regime and then we're back to see what the weight is doing. If she's lost again then next steps would be ultrasounds / xrays. But so far all blood and urine tests are perfectly normal - which is quite reassuring really :)
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Hi Meriad,

I hope Abbie is OK. When they find elevated white blood cells and nothing else, do they leave it to resolve on its own or should they give a course of antibiotics? Many years ago when Flo was quieter/sleepier than normal, losing weight and linking concrete (!), they found that she had elevated white blood cells. They did more tests but couldn't find anything else wrong and she continued to go downhill. She ended up getting extremely ill with an infection and having to go to a vet hospital. I've always wondered if I'd asked for a course of antibiotics whether this could have been prevented. I don't mean to scare you and don't know what the answer is, but thought I should mention this.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That does sound promising - I hope she continues to keep the weight and all is well. xx
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Marla, to be honest I am a bit surprised that they haven't suggested antibiotics; as you say raised white blood cells are usually indicative of an infection somewhere and I'd have thought that AB's would be one of the first things to try? I'm taking her back to the vet for a weigh on the 27th of this month and will be asking the vet about that then.

Thankfully Abbie does seem quite OK otherwise, it's just the weight loss that I've noticed.

Helen, thanks - I'm with you on that one :D Fingers crossed eh? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hope she continues ok, all the best :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Absolutely, all paws here crossed. :)

It's a difficult call on the ABs - it's a worry that she might need them, but I'm also very wary of giving them unnecessarily. Let's just hope they weren't needed. xx