animal charities' reputations

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

animal charities' reputations

Post by catslave16 »

I've just been reading the very disturbing thread about poor missing Boris and the RSPCA's failure to act at all responsibly. :evil: :shock: And a lot of you seem to have had negative experiences with them. I personally have had a bad experience with CPL when I started volunteering. My local branch appears to be run by a little clique of rather elderly and in some cases frankly peculiar people (I mean eve n more peculiar than your average mad cat lovers :D ). I don't want to go into details but my volunteering came to an end within three months; not even my passion for kitties could withstand the way I was treated. A couple of years ago I had to use the PDSA 'free' clinic (which isn't free; you pay £6 per consultation, admittedly much cheaper than going to a vet, but you still pay full whack for any meds) when I suspected my Blake had CKD. No appointments at the clinic; I had to wait surrounded by scary dogs with square heads (you know the type) and almost equally scary owners. A kind lady volunteer allowed Blake and me to wait in the back of her parked car. After that I went back to the vet, and damn the expense. But some of you have had bad experiences with the PDSA too.
How about the Blue Cross? I'm asking because I've just been accepted as bereavement volunteer and will be starting training in early September.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: animal charities' reputations

Post by bobbys girl »

I have had several run-in's with the RSPCA over the years and found them to be a waste of space. But my experiences with the PDSA have all been good.

I was out of work in the early 90's and my dog, Bonnie was in need of treatment for a growth on her leg. The treatment was successful and she lived to be 17 1/2! If I remember correctly we paid a 'suggested' donation towards the treatment, which seemed fine at the time.

Some years later I did some voluntary work in their shop. I learned SO much about the business that I was in line to get a full time job with another charity shop, just before we moved here. I did learn the other side of the charity business. You would not believe some of the stunts some people try. :o
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I think one of the big problems is that with the likes of the RSPCA, PDSA and CPL we think of them as single charities, when really each branch works a great deal on its own, which is why some are really good and some branches are bad. As mentioned in the other thread, i had a bad time with the PDSA, i haven't had any real dealing with the RSPCA and got on well with the CPL when I have been looking for a cat (half of those i have adopted have come through Cats Protection), however I did know someone who fostered for CPL as well as owning several cats of her own. At the time CPL did not vaccinate the cats they had in fosterage. She was hit with a case of Feline Enteritis. All of the fostered cats succumbed to it, her own cats were all vaccinated, one was very sick with it anyway but survived, the others were fine. I don't know Cats Protections attitude to vaccination these days, it was quite a few years ago.

In the end a lot depends on how well the individual members of the branch get on. Anyone who helps in animal rescue charities must have a fairly strong personality to cope with the emotional termoil, anywhere you get a group of people with strong personalities you will get conflict and that is where the problems come.

I haven't had any dealings with Blue Cross, but I would guess like every other organisation there are the good and the bad, get in with a good group and you will do wonderfully, if you find your local one has too much conflict of personalities, then take the training and try elsewhere. It doesn't matter which organisation you are with, you will be helping people and animals anyway.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Good point, Ruth B. Thanks. And thank you, bobbys girl.
Oh no! Now I'll have an 'ear worm' again - that song "I want to be Bobby's girl" will be running through my head for the next two hours! :P
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

catslave16 wrote:Oh no! Now I'll have an 'ear worm' again - that song "I want to be Bobby's girl" will be running through my head for the next two hours! :P
:lol: You're not the only one! That song makes regular appearances on the jukebox of my mind... :lol:

Good luck with the Blue Cross. Yes, I know what you mean; after decades of hands-on cat experience, including being my own vet nurse in the days when vets expected you to be (valuable experience) and unlike doctors, explained everything, I do find it galling to be spoken to like a feeble greenhorn by certain people involved in animal care, including the occasional vet; makes me feel like responding with that handy little rhyme:

Admonish not your parent's aged parent to extract
The contents of the hen's ovum by suction.
The dear old lady can herself this feat enact,
Without resorting to your kind instruction!

I realise that as far as they (and we!)are concerned the cats and their needs come first, but there is just no need to be so abrasive and condescending; a lot of excellent volunteers must be lost that way.

However, they aren't all like that, there are some really fantastic people out there who are a joy to talk to and learn from - do hope you meet up with that sort :)
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

I hope so too.
At least doctors don't patronise you nowadays. Well, my doctors don't, anyway. They seem to like informed, intelligent patients. So does my vet. As long as you don't spout a lot of stuff you've found on-line...
Lilith, you're a fount of wise sayings. Unlike me: I'm a fount of useless information. :roll:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

catslave16 wrote: I'm a fount of useless information. :roll:
Aww! Nooo way! :) (But thanks for the kind words :) )

Sadly I seem to come up against patronising doctors, though my GP is ok, but I avoid doctors as much as possible. (It was a laugh - in retrospect - when I had to go into hospital, I got quite used to a procession of doctors marching out after I'd answered back; I enjoyed the naughty childhood I never had, he he!) You'd think they would want patients to be informed and intelligent; after all, if you drive, and take your car in to the garage, you're expected to know your spark plugs from your head gasket? Common sense.

Thanks for your pm btw - hope my reply's got through as I'm death to technology :shock: :D
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

All together now 'I want to be ..BOBBY'S GIRL .... :lol: :lol:

Don't get me started on doctors and what they DON'T know (but think they do!)
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Go on, Bobby's girl, do get started!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Perhaps this site is not the time or place, but I'll throw this one in.

Two of my doctors have both told me that it is assumed that most people in the UK are Vit D deficient one went on to say 'and we are only just beginning to understand how important it is'!!! Dur, then why aren't you telling us all to take Vit D or get out in the sunshine more? No instead you want us all on statins. 25% of your body's cholesterol is in your brain - does the rise in Alzheimers follow the same curve as statin use? Just a thought.

For all the years doctors spend studying, most spend only a few hours on nutrition. Hypocrates himself said 'let food be thy medicine and medicine thy food'. But we all know there is more money to be made from little pills. :evil:

Right, rant over, sorry to hijack this thread - it's just something I am passionate about. :oops:
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

bobbys girl wrote:All together now 'I want to be ..BOBBY'S GIRL .... :lol: :lol:
Fightback! :lol:

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=the ... &FORM=VIRE

Another '60s ear worm! :D