A fight!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

A fight!

Post by catslave16 »

OMG, I'm absolutely shaking! I just heard some long, loud yowls, dashed outside, and there was Rufus on the front path FIGHTING with Frankie, the cat who lives three doors up. They were really grappling with each other, rolling around and kicking. :shock: I had to break it up. They kept yowling at each other until Frankie beat a retreat - he was in Rufus' territory. And I'm absolutely shocked at the amount of fur there was in the front garden, handfuls and handfuls of it, only from Rufus. Now Rufus is a long-haired cat so it was mostly fluff, but I brushed him pretty thoroughly only last night and I can't believe how much more has come off him. He came indoors, still growling, and he seemed to be shaking (or was I imagining that because I was shaking?) He's had a cuddle, a few treats, has drunk some water and eaten some biscuits. He's let me inspect him and I can't see any injuries, thank goodness.

Now Rufus is a very laid-back cat, and Frankie is an old friend. He was friends with my beloved Blake, and he used to come into the house and sleep near Blake (Blake wasn't as keen on Frankie as Frankie was on Blake). I used to feed him when his humans were away, and they'd feed Blake when I was away. I have an arrangement with a different neighbour these days. Maybe that's just as well... :oops: Frankie can't come into the house any more as Rufus has an electronic cat flap, so I don't often interact with him nowadays.

I think Frankie is ten or twelve, a mature cat, anyway, and Rufus is five. I can't understand why they've suddenly had a fight. As far as I know that's never happened before. I'm around most of the time and I don't sleep much, so I would have noticed a fight. I don't think there's anything I can do about it, as such (what, call them in and give them a serious talking to? Tell Frankie to apologise - as I said, he was on Rufus' patch - and make them shake paws?) but I've never experienced a cat fight before (yeah, I must have led a sheltered life) and I really do feel quite shaken. I'm really worried Rufus may get hurt.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: A fight!

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes it is a shock when this happens. Bob and Gracie are not the best of friends - he won't put up withher bullying ways. Usually they just avoideach other. But there havebeen real ding-dong battles between them, resulting in large amounts of Gracie fluff blowing around the garden.

They are sittingeither side of me now actively avoiding each others gaze (as I fight the keyboard spacebar - I'm getting a sore thumb bashing the bar to work!)

It is quite possible Rufus and Frankie have developed the same relationship - OK unless they come faceto face. Or perhaps the battlesorted something out between them and thingswill be OK now. I hope so.

Fusses to your shaken-not-stirred boy.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Thank you, bobbys girl. Shaken-not-stirred - I like it! :D
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ooh bad lad!

I often think cat fur in a fight is like a lizard's tail, comes off to dramatic effect but grows back. Fingers crossed no abscesses though.

I'm reminded of a fight I witnessed in a summer dawn when I first moved here - a handsome black tom and a ginger who I'm sure became my lad Finn. When I went down to them they were so entangled that they just rolled away from me in a ball, like a black/ginger yin/yang emblem or like something out of Beano, a ball of dust with arms and legs sticking out.

Men, eh? :lol:
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

Lilith you've done it again :lol: :lol: :lol:
Rufus seems to be still quite affected by the fight this morning. He's been rather subdued all day, a bit clingy - looking for reassurance no doubt - not eating much, hardly going out and sleeping in odd places. :( Is it normal for a cat to show some signs of distress sixteen hours after a fight? Remember I've not had to deal with this situation before, as my beloved Blake was, like Rufus, a big softie.
I've looked him over and as far as I can see his skin has not been punctured, so hopefully he won't get any abscesses, but I'll stay alert for the signs.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Gracie gets like that. Sometimes there is some underlying reason, sometimes she has just dented her dignity.

About an hour after my last post I heard a racket, looked out of the window to see Grace run past followed by Bob who chased her into the house. She was quite subdued for a while and this morning she is a little clingy - but still managed to wolf her breakfast. :roll:
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Maybe they were just in the wrong mood at the wrong time - very occasionally I've seen Daz and Merrick really fall out .... but then they're fine again for months.

I've had several cats 'sulk' for a day or two after some sort of mishap or altercation - just keep an eye on him. I hope he's OK - I'm sure he is. xx