A product that works!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

A product that works!

Post by catslave16 »

'm not sure if I'm allowed to talk about this as it may be considered to be advertising, but I can't resist passing on a tip to everyone who struggles administering meds. I got some stuff from the vet that's a meaty putty, and you mould it round the pill. I thought that would never work. But I tried, as Rufus' flea treatment was a couple of days overdue. Comfortis is a large pill, so I halved it, wrapped the putty round it, offered it to Rufus - and he ate it! Actually swallowed it! :o . I gave him a couple more little balls, and there's enough of the stuff left for two or three more pills. And it costs £1.84 :D
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: A product that works!

Post by MarkB »

Are they called pill-pockets?

I remember getting them years ago. They had a slot in to put the pill in, but I found they were too big, so made two out of each one. In more recent years, I used Webbox sticks instead, although it is a bit hit-or-miss, as sometimes they are squashy,and sometimes quite hard. Natures Menu treats are the same, except they are pre-cut and usually quite squashy (even though I am sure they are the same thing)
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Oops Mark just recommended these! I missed that completely....

The 3rd, 4th, and 5th product on this page are really good for pilling:
https://www.naturesmenu.co.uk/natural-c ... cat-treats

We get them from Pets at Home.

We break them in half and use half for the pill and the other half to follow it up. The cats love them.

(The 1st and 2nd products don't work. They are freeze-dried raw and very crumbly.)
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Oh I don't think it'd matter if you said what it is; there are spammers on here who get zapped but loads of times we've discussed pros and cons of products, I mean you have to don't you?

Good lad Rufus - I confess I still either pill direct or (more often) crush a pill into tuna or similar or rely on the sprinkle capsule mixed in with tuna etc. I'm a coward.

Go on, tell us - what is it then? :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Yes Marla. They are the ones I used. I checked the factory code once and they are made in the same factory as Webbox - the only difference is that you get 60grather than 30g and handy with them being pre-cut .
Marla
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Marla »

Are the ingredients the same?
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

The stuff is called "Easypill" - original, eh - and is a meaty putty that comes as a brown bar of probably 10 gram, enough for two or three pills. I say 'probably' because I tore up the label.
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

I tried crushing the pill into tuna but Rufus, typically, ate his way around the minuscule fragments and left the rest of the tuna. I mixed in a bit more fresh tuna but no, he detected which bits were 'contaminated' and left them. How do they do it? :?
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

catslave16 wrote:I tried crushing the pill into tuna but Rufus, typically, ate his way around the minuscule fragments and left the rest of the tuna. I mixed in a bit more fresh tuna but no, he detected which bits were 'contaminated' and left them. How do they do it? :?
An EXCELLENT sense of smell, crafty little beggers! :roll:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I got over a hundred pills into Trigger using Webbox, which he loved

I found the secret was to give him two bits without the pill, then the bit with it, then two more without - and I found it helped for me to be sitting in a chair, with him sitting on the floor below, so the pieces tended to naturally fall to the back of his mouth when he grabbed them