Update as promised

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Update as promised

Post by oggers86 »

It has been a few weeks now since I posted but I did promise to come back and update you.

Last time I posted I was having issues with Elise weeing in the house when she was shut in. Unfortunately the only way to resolve this was to give her 24/7 access to the outside. Since then we have had no incidents at all and it has been a good 9 weeks or so. It does pose a problem about our new house move as she will have to stay in for a minimum of 2 weeks but I will just put loads of trays out, have one or two with soil in and hopefully in a new environment she will be happy to use her litter tray. She must use it in the cattery as she was there for 2 weeks last year and they didn't mention anything.

I mentioned that we were adding a new kitten in, which we did. I know many raised objections to this due to Elise's weeing problem. I was certain that the problem was due to her not having 24/7 outdoor access and nothing else and it would appear I was correct as there have been no incidents in the 6 weeks of him being here or the few weeks previously.

It is still a work in progress with regards to introductions. Interestingly Elise is the more tolerant one whereas Elsa is the one who is proving the most difficult. They are ok with him if he isn't too close, Elsa requires much more personal space than Elise yet she is the one most likely to follow us upstairs and watch him playing from a safe distance.

They are now happy to eat, sleep and clean in the same room providing he does cross "The Line" Elsa is not shy in telling him in no uncertain terms she does not appreciate him in her face! Given time I am sure they will learn to live peacefully alongside one another, especially once he calms down a bit. I let them get on with things as he needs them to tell him what is acceptable and unacceptable. He never comes to any harm from the swipes so there doesn't seem to be any claws used. I still separate for long periods just in case plus I cant leave the flap locked as then Elise cant get out to go to the toilet.

When we move we are cat proofing the garden and putting a dual flap for the others in a downstairs window. They will also have access to the garden but as they are so used to roaming it is unfair to confine them, especially as it was a failure last time. As Elsworth has no experience of the outdoor world he *should* be content in the garden. I am going to create a cat haven, if the others spend more time in it that outside of it then it is a win win situation :D

All in all I think things are going well and I am very happy we chose to bring a Meezer kitten into our lives. He is full of energy and mischief yet so loving and cuddly.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: Update as promised

Post by Jacks »

Thank you for updating - sounds like the little guy is a hit! So glad Elise is happier and you have sorted out the cause of her distress - as you suspected, she was making her views known in the only way she could.

I would think the strangeness of the new house will help to contain Elise whilst she gets used to her new circumstances. As you say they cope in a cattery and two weeks is not a long time.

We're getting a house sitter in for a break and we'll have to keep ours indoors, but they only have access when we're at home, so the fact we're not there will hopefully mean they don't go stir crazy!

Good luck with your house move x