How do we know when a cat is a true stray???

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Pinkglitter1
Experienced Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 4

How do we know when a cat is a true stray???

Post by Pinkglitter1 »

So, on my local community facebook page in East London, my local community are often posting messages such as: 'cat hanging around my garden', 'cat looking lost and hungry', etc, has led me to wonder how do we know when a cat is truly lost? At one point I had 5 cats coming into my flat and stealing food, hanging out in the garden and running off when approached. Paper collars established that 2 had a home in the next street. If cats are not chipped or collared, how do we know we are not stealing someones cat due to hypervigilence. I worry that every cat I spot is a stray. If someone took in one of mine, thinking they were stray, I would be heartbroken. There was one cat I never got the chance to put a paper collar on. I still have sleepless nights worrying that he didn't have a home.
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Re: How do we know when a cat is a true stray???

Post by Jacks »

I think you've made a very good point - especially if the cat concerned appears well fed - we appear to run a 'cat cafe' here as all manner come along for the chance of stealing an extra meal after I used to feed a genuine 'lost boy' outside who was feral in behaviour and skin and bone. He is now being integrated into our home after neutering and hardly wants to leave the house - but who would living in a cat cafe!

Yes, it's a serious concern and I think important to ask around the neighbourhood and local vets, maybe with a picture of said cat, to try to establish possible ownership. As you say not all cats have collars...
moira
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 16

Re: How do we know when a cat is a true stray???

Post by moira »

It is a difficult one. Helping a stray or catnapping someone's cat? Personally, if a cat isn't neutered and isn't chipped I would consider it a stray, have it vetchecked and neutered and release back. If it keeps coming round I would ask around, put up posters etc. If no response then I would keep or rehome. If owner comes forward I would give them a **** for not having it neutered in the first place and present them with the bill.