Trying new foods

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Laijas
Returning Cat Chatter

Trying new foods

Post by Laijas »

I have always fed my 2 girls felix because I was stupid and didn't research into a decent cat good brand!! :lol: They love felix but I have recently done some research and looked at the contents and as it only contains 4% meat I'm concerned they aren't getting all the vitamins and nutrients they need.

I've tried them on Applaws wet, and several other brands from zoopla but they turn their nose up and as it's not cheap I'm wasting packets everyday. I've tried mixing this in with felix but they either don't eat it or pick out the felix!

I've tried some good dry, Applaws, James Well beloved and Science plan. I like Science plan but I have been giving this as a side dish (abit like leaving crunchines down all the time) instead of giving it as a complete food, which I know it is.

I'm thinking I'll now try putting some vitamin pastes in with the felix and continue given them the science plan on the side.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a vitamin paste or something similar that I can give them in their felix?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Trying new foods

Post by Kay »

personally I think you should stick with the Felix if they like it - the 4% refers to the named meat, and not total meat, and in any case is a legal stipulation and the actual meat content, whether it be the named meat or other meat, is actually very much higher

generations of cats have been reared on Felix so I don't think you need worry about it
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I'd stick with the Felix too, if they like it. As Kay says, the 4% refers to the named meat not the total meat content, and many of the Felix sachets are low in cereals. My gang love the AGAIL, and it is a complete food so should cover all their dietary requirements.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I have six cats and all have Felix As Good as it looks as their wet food plus a few other choices (all cereal free). And they love it.
I've tried countless times to get mine to eat different / better / raw etc, but they're not as interested as I am so now I stick to what I know they like; they're getting their nutrients and we're all happy.

I feed them a decent quality (well I think it is) dry food and with that combination they're all pretty happy and healthy and doing just fine.

So as Kay and Crewella have said - if they like Felix then leave them with that; it's absolutely fine
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

I agree with all the posters above. All three of my moggy cats lived to a good age on Felix. Tilly disagrees with this recommendation, however, and insists that much more expensive cat food is provided for a cat of her breeding!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Mine are mostly on Felix Good as it Looks, with just the occasional tin of Gourmet Gold or Applaws to give a bit of a change. As far as nutrition goes, Felix GaiL has one of the highest protein contents of the normal cat foods, only Kitten foods tend to come in higher generally and only certain ones of them. (Dried will always seem to have a higher protein level as it doesn't contain the water). The other one to watch for is any that claim to be a 'complete' cat food will have a load of extra vitamins and minerals added to make sure that it does give the cat a full balanced diet. Even the likes of Applaws doesn't claim to be a complete cat food even though it is high in meat content.

Food labels are a bit of a nightmare, as someone else pointed out, they can give a percentage of specific meat (eg 4% chicken) but can then contain other meats as well. Percentage meat and percentage protein are also different as meat contains more than just protein (mostly water but other things as well).

Felix isn't a bad cat food, it might not be the best, but it is far from being the worst. Also remember if you fed a raw diet you wouldn't be feeding 100% meat. I have heard of chicken wings being a common raw food, think of the amount of bone, tendon, skin etc, all of that doesn't necessarily class as 'meat'.

If your cats like Felix I would say keep on feeding them it, it certainly is much cheaper than throwing away pouches and pouches of stuff they won't eat.
Laijas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laijas »

Thank you for the replies and the reassurance on Felix.

I'll continue to give them Felix, they seem to like it over anything else and are happy and healthy.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Laijas wrote: they seem to like it over anything else and are happy and healthy.
exactly as it should be ;) Happy and healthy cats = happy cat slave :lol:
Laijas
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Laijas »

:lol: yep that sounds about right!!