M25 cat killer

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Ruth
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 8

M25 cat killer

Post by Ruth »

This is a horrific subject to have to talk about but things seem to be getting worse out there for our furry companions, another cat this week has been butchered in Kent.
Those of us who have cats who go outside know the worry of them not coming home and the thought that someone could do such horrible things makes me feel physically sick. We also have the problem of cats being taken for dog fighting and even urban foxes can be dangerous for a small or elderly cat or a cat the has sustained an injury whilst outside.
I know it's difficult but try to keep cats in at night.
By making evening feeds much later in the day, 9-10pm, a cat is far more likely to settle down for the night indoors than want to be outside. Feeding them early means they settle down on the sofa, have a few hours kip and are raring to go just as we want to go to bed.
In an ideal world we wouldn't have to even think about this but we now have to be realistic with what is happening and do what we can to protect our cats.
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: M25 cat killer

Post by nanny pamy »

This is such a good post. Where I live they're taking cats for bait an just yesterday I passed an entry and there was a dead cat which although I'm not going to elaborate it was obvious what had happened. And yet people are still letting their cats out at night. I will never understand that. One of my neighbours has three and when I asked her why she leaves them out knowing what's going on she said "oh they're too used to being out, they'd howl all night if I kept them in". Sorry but that's no excuse at all. As you say, change the routine, be patient, it may take a while but why take a chance on the poor cats coming to a horrific end.
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I do let mine out when it's dark but I go with them. We go for (slow) walks up the road and they stick by my side until they encounter another cat who scares them and we saunter back. When they have had their fill of exploring I bribe the back in with some food.

People must think I'm that weirdo who loiters on the street corner, but it's better than risking them coming to harm.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It must be awful to think that someone in your neighbourhood is capable of such barbarism. I though I had problems with foxes and mink/polecats. But they are only doing what comes naturally.

I can only pray that the person or persons doing this meet with an unfortunate 'accident' the sooner the better. :twisted: To echo my mum's response 'I hope he gets boils on his bottom!'
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

This makes me so angry. It's horrible & I too hope karma gets the culprit/s well & truely. : :evil: :evil: Vivian
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I agree, Ruth, and did exactly what you suggest - started feeding them later so I could call them in for the night. Safer for them from the road as well as anything, or anybody, else and also better for the local wildlife.

There were a few prosecutions round here for dog fighting a couple of years ago, but it's still going on, sadly. :(