Home flea treatment and permethrin

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Nacey
New Cat Chatter

Home flea treatment and permethrin

Post by Nacey »

Hi all,
I have four adourable cats and doing their monthly flea treatment..... anyway i though id treat the house as a precaution (they dont have fleas just a precaution) BUT every house treatment ive seen contains permethrin or others like it which are toxic to cats :shock: just wondered if they are ok as they not a high dose like the spot on that dogs have that could kill them. The lowest dose i can find is ant and other crawling insects that can be used indoors by nippon which is a powder and is 0.488% or raid flea killer which contains pyrethrins and pyrethoids which is 0.25% they both say safe around pets but i just dont know. Any advice would be great thanks :)
OHWS
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Home flea treatment and permethrin

Post by OHWS »

Last edited by OHWS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nacey
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nacey »

Yea i was sitting thinking that i am so over cautious and OCD
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

Sadly Permethrin is a Pyrethroid itself, so all are, in effect, just the same thing and just as problematic for cats. A one off treatment with the cats kept away from the treated areas until they are perfectly dry and have been aired would probably be OK, but personally I wouldn't do that unless I definitely had a flea problem. Why risk it.
Nacey
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nacey »

Yea just me being daft no need my cats are up to date and always checked just me being silly that and I'm vacuum crazy so ...... :lol: thanks anyway