Is wanting a kitten too selfish?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Is wanting a kitten too selfish?

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey guys,

Some of you know me as that girl that pops around occasionally and tries to offer advice but ultimately isn't as skilled as the other lovely people on here.

I've always tried to take in the unwanted. All of my pets were rescues, including our latest addition, Sofi.
However, I would really like the opportunity to have a cat from a young age that I could watch grow up and see every stage of their life.
I've always wanted a Maine coon or a Himalayan in particular but because they're so sought after I've never even seen one in a shelter. (I just love long haired cats, they're so beautiful)

I know it's wrong of me to want a kitten from these breeds when there are so many cats out there that need homes. But I still would like one.
I've always been really against people buying kittens because people don't expect them to grow up. They want this perfect ball of fluff all the time and that enrages me.

I know I'm asking you to play judge and jury but I want honest answers. I finally have the money to afford a Maine coon or a Himalayan and I have the insurance saved to take care of it alongside Sofi. Should I buy a kitten or should I get an older boy/girl from rescue and use the money saved to make sure they're happy and live out a happy life.
I would really REALLY like a kitten but there are older cats out there that need love in that have been abandoned.
I'm kinda grappling with this.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Is wanting a kitten too selfish?

Post by Ruth B »

I've always had rescue cats, but one of those was a three year old Ragdoll, when he was pts I got a couple of young rescue cats, but now, when I have room I am really tempted to go for a pedigree, a Ragdoll, Birman, Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest seem to be the ones on my list. So, no, don't feel guilty wanting one, you have already done a lot to help rescue cats, sometimes we just have to treat ourselves.

My main advice would be to make sure that it comes from a reputable breeder and be prepared to pay the price a reputable breeder will want. I don't particularly care about knowing the names of the parents to x generations or showing, but I would want to know that the breeder cared for the cats. I have come to the belief that backyard breeders are even worse than those that let their moggies get pregnant because they can't be bothered to get them spayed. These people are ones that are factory breeding pedigrees to sell them on cheap with no concern for the welfare of cat or kittens, and as such the kittens are rarely registered.

Make sure you research the breed (Maine Coons get huge from what I have heard), so you know what you are getting and that the breed is suitable for your lifestyle, also try and dig a bit deeper and find the bad points about the breeds, most breeds will have them but they are rarely mentioned, the wrong breed in the wrong environment is where the problems start.

I don't know how old Sofi is, but if you have room have you considered two kittens so they can play together, you could then get the pedigree you want and a rescue kitten of similar age.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I agree I'd never want to buy from a factory breeder. If I did get a kitten (and tbh I'm still not very keen because of above reasons) I would have to do a lot of research and probably have to travel out of the city.

The more I think about this the more I talk myself out of it. Just today I saw a stray and thought "This is the reason I shouldn't get a kitten. I'd be fueling a business that allows these kinds of things to happen."
It ran away when I offered it some ham. (I'd been to the corner shop, I don't just carry ham around randomly.)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Mrs Kane wrote: (I'd been to the corner shop, I don't just carry ham around randomly.)
:lol: :lol:
I don't know why I'm laughing, the back of my car is full of carrots and apples - for someone else's donkey, dog biscuits and a box of Felix AGAIL! Well you never know. ;)

No I don't think you are selfish. We miss having a dog about the place and when we see someone with a whippet or lurcher we think 'should we?'

I am of the opinion that if your heart is really set on a long-haired cat or kitten, then one day one will appear and it will be the right one. That's how all our pets have arrived - even the koi carp - right place, right time and there they were.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

I really don't carry ham around, honest! :P Except maybe in a sandwich on rushed day. (If stray cats followed me around then I'd definitely give them ham on a daily basis)

I do agree with you though Bobby's girl. When I first moved here I wasn't in a position to get a cat. And then we moved into a new apartment, settled in, and we started pondering "should we, shouldn't we?" I remember that being my first post on here, as I'd never owned a cat in the city before. And then suddenly a teacher had to give up their cat and we had Sofi. Within 2 months of us starting to seriously talk about it.
So perhaps in 2 months we'll have a Maine coon/Himalayan kitten through some means. Still not sure how Sofi the "I hate everyone" cat is going to take it though.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Cross that bridge when you come to it. If it is meant to be - it will work out. I never set out to have a house full of cats. There wasn't any room as we had a house full of dogs! :lol:

Willow is a sour-puss - she actually puts me in mind of Maggie Smith's Dowager Duchess of Grantham or Oscar Wilde's Lady Bracknell. Yes I can quite hear her say 'a HANDBAG?' She has had a lot to put up with over the years. She may glare and give you her 'death stare' but I think she's not that put out with all the comings and goings in this family. ;)