Cats, Slugs and Salt

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Cats, Slugs and Salt

Post by charlie_rabbit01 »

So I have a bit of a slug problem in my flat, the slimy things appear at night in my bathroom much to Denzel's delight.

He'll play with them which is disgusting, but i'm trying to get rid of them, it has been suggested that I lay down salt would this be harmful for Denzel?

Any advice of for Denzel or the getting rid of the slugs?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cats, Slugs and Salt

Post by Kay »

I pour salt on slugs on my patio, which is enclosed for the cats, and they have never touched the resultant mess

to be ultra safe though, could you not scoop the disgusting things up and put them in a container then add salt?
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by lilynmitz »

Scoop them up into a plastic container and rehome them! No salt, no suffering slugs, no mess.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

I have no real desire to kill them just want the to stop climbing my bathroom walls!
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

No advise on getting rid as I think salt is a disgusting way to deal with slugs but if Denzel is playing with slugs please make sure he is wormed with Milbemax as slugs and snails are the primary carrier of lung worm which can be fatal and Milbemax is the most effective defence.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

Thanks for the heads up hunnybunny.

Any suggestions on a good place to buy it?

Also what are the symptoms of worms just so I can keep an eye.

He's always supervised in there as he can only get in when we're in there.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I also don't like the salt on slugs thing - it's actually quite cruel :(

Personally I'd find where they're coming in from and see if you can block the entry point or put copper tape around it as that keeps them away
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

We have a MAJOR slug and snail problem. Recently I have started collecting them up in either a cardboard container or a plastic one lined with newspaper (I lift the paper out at their new home and take the plastic container home) - either way, I line it with cabbage leaves and deposit in a derelect garden nearby. My theory is that they have a food supply (they eat paper as well as leaves) and they are probably better off elsewhere as they won't get trodden on. At some point they might develop the land but I can't think about that.

As for other bugs, such as earwigs, I have been putting down diatomaceous earth (food grade only) which kills them but isn't toxic to cats or birds. I know it cuts them but we had got to the point where hundreds were coming in the house and I was finding them in cat food and around water fountains. I hate killing anything, but...
mr_frisky
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by mr_frisky »

I do what Mark does - collect them up in a plant pot (wearing disposable gloves) and leave them a couple of hundred yards away on some unkempt, unowned ground to climb out, and replace the next time.
Simons Cats
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by Simons Cats »

I could never knowingly kill a creature. I'd move it, no matter how many times.

I was in the shower at the gym this week and huge spider ran into my cubicle and got soaked and looked dead and I was devastated!