Cat litter tray mats

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Cat litter tray mats

Post by Walesgang »

Hi everyone

Can I pick brains???

We have just replaced our carpets with wood flooring, largely because of damage caused by the gang through scramming, vomiting, blood, guts and other misdemeanours over the years!!!!

Anyway, to cut a long query short, I was wondering whether anyone was aware of an idea I have had?

Henry, in particular tends to lift his bottom a bit when he wees. This means that sometimes the wee escapes the sides of the covered trays (4 of our 5 trays have lids), or straight over the side of the open tray.

We recently bought them all silicone place mats for their food. These have a slight lip to keep spills contained. I thought that a larger version of these might work if placed under the litter trays - wee would end up on the tray rather the lovely new flooring. When I have googled litter tray mats they all seem to be something small to stop tracking.

Does anyone know of such a product, or have any idea of other things we can do to limit damage?

Thanks

Val and the gang!!
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Cat litter tray mats

Post by alanc »

Hi Val
Many years ago, when Sally first arrived, I built this spill tray out of 9mm plywood (salvaged from an old wardrobe) to solve the same problem. It is covered with white fablon to make it easy to wipe down after decanting (or mopping up with a sponge) the cat wee. It has served all my cats since, even Badger who was a lot bigger than Sally! It has needed a few re-coverings over the years, but is otherwise still working. I placed a few spare tiles on the base to raise the litter tray so it does not wallow in cat pee.
Litter tray P1110500vs.jpg
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I use spare pieces of lino under all my litter trays, cheaper than special bought ones - prior to having spare lino I used the clear carpet protector you can get cheaply. Unfortunately Lucy can still miss so I have to use puppy pads as well
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my mother had a cat who used to wee over the edge of the tray, and she couldn't manage the lid of a covered one, so I used to put those cheap J type cloths that come on a roll around it to mop up the spillage - these cloths rinse out in seconds and dry in minutes, and can be machine washed if needed, so a cheap and hygenic solution
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

Thinking outside the box (if you'll pardon the pun), how about the drip trays that you can get for outdoor plant containers. I know Amazon did sell them at one point, but can't seem to find them again there, however a Google search for planter trays did bring up similar options elsewhere.
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Thanks everyone - some great ideas! Much as we love the gang, we don't want the new floors damaged by cat wee!!!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Val to contain litter I bought a cheap oblong plastic storage box & put one litter tray in the bottom with newspaper at one end as TC tends to do his solids there & covers with shredded newspaper. I use the lid of the plastic container for the other tray. I bought the box from a Reject Shop bit like Dollars & Cents outlet. Alanc's solution looks very practical. Vivian
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Thanks Vivian - another great idea. We will look around various pound shops/garden centres for solutions!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I have one similar to this, which has a ridge around the edge to collect the pee and is a Godsend for the older cats that sometimes don't quite get their butt in far enough!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-Paw-Cle ... SwOVpXWg2s

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cat-Litter-Tr ... F-cwpDvquw
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

Thanks Helen :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by Crewella »

I actually can't find one exactly like mine, I've had it years, but looking carefully this one is actually the most like it and would 'fill up' in the same way that mine does. Sorry - should have looked more carefully!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kennelpak-Van ... SwLnBX9ua8