Lucy update

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Lucy update

Post by booktigger »

Well, it has been 12 months since I adopted Lucy, in some ways she is a different cat, most notably the fact that she doesn’t sit on your knee all the time anymore, which is a shame. I do wish the meowing at night would stop though!

Some of her quirks haven’t really improved, some of them make me sad, as her fear controls her – if she wants to go out and she can hear one of the neighbours car engines, she changes her mind – there are still lots of noises that bother her.

Of course, being one of my cats, she had to develop a health issue!! And of course hip dysplasia isn’t common in cats. The acupuncture seems to be working, which is better for her long term than daily Metacam, although unfortunately the numerous vet visits have left her wary of me, and she often hides under the bed from me.

The biggest, and best, improvement has been that she now weighs 5kg – in March she weighed 5.6kg, and in 2015 she weighed 6.5kg, so that will be a big help for her and her arthritis.

The most important thing for her though, is that she is loved and accepted for who she is, regardless of her hissing, huffing, growling and hitting!!
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: Lucy update

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Booktigger poor Lucy - anxiety issues can culminate in fears. Have you considered anti-anxiety meds? One of the vet nurses I'm friendly with adopted a rag doll who suffered anxiety culminating in regular cistitius & Dr Nia prescribed a med which has turned Chloe round. Apparently the meds subscribed can be a hit or miss but worked with Chloe who hasn't suffered repeats cistitus for a tad over 12 months now. It's a daily med & I think Elle gives it to her with Greenies which Chloe loves. Perhaps more experienced cat chatterers will have other ideas. Great news on the weight loss. And loved your closing statement that Lucy's loved despite her fears - unconditional love. Fusses & ear rubs to Lucy. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Thanks - she has a Feliway plug in and I'm looking at the Royal Canin calm biscuits. I think she's in a good enough mood now for a fuss, I have been hit once today!
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Aww bless her! she’s lucky you found her Desley. Shame about the anxiety, is that why she meows at night do you think?
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I honestly have no idea why she meows at night - she often comes up, does whatever, then goes back down and meows, so it's not because she is confused as to where I am.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Alice used to do that. No idea why. I seemed to have a long run of cats with health issues. I suppose it is better that they end up with proper cat people who will try to deal with, or accept the issues/quirks.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi Booktigger Feliway dispenser & spray used but was the meds that worked for Chloe. Vivian
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

MarkB wrote:Alice used to do that. No idea why. I seemed to have a long run of cats with health issues. I suppose it is better that they end up with proper cat people who will try to deal with, or accept the issues/quirks.
That's very true Mark. A friend says I'm too soft with Lucy, but she gets worked up otherwise, so ignoring some of her behaviour makes her a nicer cat. I do tell her off when she hits me because she can't get her own way though! She's also a terrible scavenger, the other day she hit me because I refused to let her have some Christmas cake :o
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

booktigger wrote:That's very true Mark. A friend says I'm too soft with Lucy, but she gets worked up otherwise, so ignoring some of her behaviour makes her a nicer cat. I do tell her off when she hits me because she can't get her own way though! She's also a terrible scavenger, the other day she hit me because I refused to let her have some Christmas cake :o
Thanks for the update on Lucy. Willow is our neurotic fussy pussy. She loves to lick out creamy/yoghurty bowls. We had problems yesterday with the Christmas pud. She really could not understand why she didn't get 'licky-licky' and got quite shirty about it. :lol:

Mark is so right, that's why we are all here - for the 'quirky' cats, right?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

booktigger wrote:
MarkB wrote: I suppose it is better that they end up with proper cat people who will try to deal with, or accept the issues/quirks.
That's very true Mark. I do tell her off when she hits me because she can't get her own way though! She's also a terrible scavenger, the other day she hit me because I refused to let her have some Christmas cake :o
I agree too. And she sounds just like my cat, snapping when she can’t have her own way lol!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

We've not had a good day - she woke me up crying at the wardrobe, another common thing for her, I tell her we don't live in Narnia! Then cos I was a bit sleepy, I broke the shelf trying to get her dreamies, so she felt that she had to go under the bed, she eventually came out but when I tried to give her dreamies she went back under the bed! She's eventually come down but very antsy so luckily I'm out for the day so hopefully she'll get over herself by the time I get back.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Hopefully she had calmed down by the time you got back.

I found this old video from about 7 years ago. I was trying to record Alice howling, but she stopped as soon as she 'heard' me coming.I think she was totally deaf, but must have felt vibrations. http://s305.photobucket.com/user/MarkB_ ... rt=2&o=361
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Lol, bless her Mark. Our Schui who was deaf used to do that walking up the garden every day. I think he was doing his daily patrol and couldn’t hear himself - how loud he was. Our Squeaky used to do it occasionally when he just wanted attention, he would go into another room then stop when I came in to see what all the noise was!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

She was better after a play session with the lazer pen, she's actually come to sleep on the bed with me this morning, which I've missed.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It looks as if things are going to go at her pace. Sleeping on the bed is good :)
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Yep, sounds like she’s forgiven you for no Christmas cake :lol: and has got over the shelf incident, the play session is obviously a winner :)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I will try and resize pics this week
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Mark, my Emily does that, roars like a crying baby for a couple of moments, but then settles down serenely after she's got that off her chest; it's just as if she has a vacant moment and then gets on with life. She's in her sixteenth year though; long may she thrive; lovely girl!

Lol Booktigger, Lucy sounds a right madam, I've got one who hits and bites if we disagree, and guess who usually wins the argument...not me! :)