How long should Scratching Posts last?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

How long should Scratching Posts last?

Post by Mrs Kane »

Hey all,

I just wanted to throw this out there because our cat post needs replacing.

We've had it about a year and a half but it started falling apart at around 10 months and I've been glueing it back ever since. Finally, it's time to say goodbye to Sofis punch buddy. I can't repair it any longer.

Our post was from the independent pet shop round the corner. I bought it thinking "yay I'm supporting local business and the quality will be better." But I'm thinking not so in this case. Or perhaps I'm being too harsh on the owner.

To be clear, it's the classic model. A little cubby hole in the bottom, scratching post in the middle and a little stand at the top. Basic, right?

Okay, but it's falling apart after a year! And I'm not being dramatic about this, I've found numerous pieces of rope scattered throughout the apartment where Sofi has just ripped chunks out of it with her claws and tossed it around the place. Okay, she doesn't go for trimming (last time we tried... I still have a scar on my wrist) but still. These things are meant to endure punishment!

I'm looking at places like Zooplus and thinking "It's half the price, people swear by it..." and thinking of buying a bigger tower at the same price as our original one.

So with all that in mind, how long do you find your cat towers last in your households? Do they break after a year or just keep going and going?

PS: I've always planned to get a more extravagant, taller tower for Sofi. We've just not been financially able to until this point. So my other question is should I support my local or go with tried and true internet reviews?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: How long should Scratching Posts last?

Post by Crewella »

I think it's really down to the punishment they get from the cat. From what I've seen, even many of the pricier ones are built from card and hardboard rather than solid wood.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

I have a few around the house. One from a UK maker called Kalven, expensive, but worth every penny. But will be too expensive to send your way I'd have thought.

About 5 years or so back I bought one from Ebay and it's still going OK; and it's used a lot - and most of my cats are all on the larger side and aren't very gentle and elegant when they jump up and down and rough and tumble. Admittedly it's begging to get a bit wobbly so I try tighten it where I can but I think I'll get another year out of it hopefully. I had a look and they unfortunately don't make it anymore but whilst looking found this one I quite like the look of: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cat-Tree-Scra ... rkt%3D1%26

I have this one in the dining room http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/scra ... ell/194645 and it's really good; carpet like material so it doesn't come loose.

As Helen says, more and more poles are now either plastic or cardboard with the rope glued around them; ideal would be a solid wood one
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Meriad I really like the look of the barrel one you have from zooplus. My cat Theo is a big cat so would it be big enough do you think. I know some of the cat posts are more suited for small cats and kittens
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Thanks, Meriad for the suggestions and Crewella for the info. I'd forgotten but my uncles scratching posts were all made out of wood. I suppose that's why I remember him having the same ones all the time when I was a kid. Hence my annoyance at mine falling apart.

I guess the tradition of solid wood cat posts is out of fashion now.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

nanny pamy wrote:Meriad I really like the look of the barrel one you have from zooplus. My cat Theo is a big cat so would it be big enough do you think. I know some of the cat posts are more suited for small cats and kittens
To be honest, the two that use it most are the two smallest, but it's a fair size. But, given that it's not the cheapest to buy have a look at the Kalven range https://www.kalven.co.uk/ - they are incredibly solid and there will be something in your price range. But then saying that, I would without a seconds hesitation buy another of those zooplus barrels just because they are so sturdy.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

My Kalven tree is as good as new after 6 years - I had the bottom bed in a three tier one replaced with a platform to help my aging podge get up and down, and paid less for the customization, which shows what a good company they are
nanny pamy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by nanny pamy »

Thanks meriad. Ive ordered the barrel one from zooplus. I do have 2 big high scratch posts but both are quite worn now and the ropes quite fraid and torn
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

If it's just a case of frayed ropes you might consider buying a coil of sisal rope, from somewhere such as Screwfix, to replace the rope. A staple gun, or 'U' shaped staples hammered in, will secure each end of the rope in place - not quite as pretty as when new, but much cheaper, and the cats don't complain! I do this from time to time as I've a very vigorous 'scratcher' - I'm just happy that she uses that and not the furniture :)
Mrs Kane
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mrs Kane »

Thanks Alice that's great advice! I'll try and get to Leroy Martins on Saturday (The Wickes of Spain)
I do this from time to time as I've a very vigorous 'scratcher' - I'm just happy that she uses that and not the furniture
You too eh? :lol:

EDIT: Pondering Alice's advice and seeing as I'll be at Martins anyway I think I'll try and make my own post. I hate this flimsy cardboard crud they call wood. If I use the original base and replace the pole I think it'll work out! (Plus Sof won't jump from her pole to the table anymore and dig her claws in on it when she misses. (She's a clumsy soul))