Problems logging on?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Problems logging on?

Post by MarkB »

We were logged in already this morning.
YogiBoy
Site Admin
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by YogiBoy »

SUPER DUPER!!! :D :D
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

I'm sorted now, but it took about four attempts, and the fails made no sense at all. Still have to log on each time though.
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hi Lilynmitz,
lilynmitz wrote:Still have to log on each time though.
When you log in, if you tick the 'remember me' button, you shouldn't need to log in each time now. Although, if you clear your browser's cache memory, or have it set to regularly clear (or not store) memory or cookies, then that may cause you to have to log in each time. Or if you are accessing from a different device maybe? Can't offhand think of another reason why that function wouldn't work for you, so would be interested to know if the issue persists.

fingers crossed!
xxx
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by Antonio »

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am experiencing problems logging in from my PC or tablet and smartphone connected via Wi-Fi.
I'm using my phone in 4G now to by-pass the home network.
The message I got is

Error 1006
Access denied
What happened?
The owner of this website has banned your IP address

It seems it has something to do with Cloudflare.
Can anyone help me?
Thanks.

EDIT: I have to add that all the messages posted today were sent from my tablet with the WiFi connection. So it worked fine in the afternoon and stopped working tonight.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hope you have sorted out your problems Antonio. My Kindle keeps freezing now and my laptop is getting slower and slower, but I think that is something to do with the 'improvements' BT are making to the service. Every time they start tinkering with the box at the end of the road our service SLOWS DOWN!!!

So, I am no longer having problems logging on to CC (happy days) but I can make a cup of tea while I wait for damn thing to fire up!
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Hi Bobby Girl, yes, tonight it's been working fine in the last hours, so I can't understand what the problem, because I haven't rebooted my router and my IP address is still the same.

Sorry to read you have troubles with your BT connection. It's the same all over the world. Even in this part of the continent the service isn't perfect and it seems that the more they upgrade the technology the slower we surf the net :D
Hopefully tomorrow it'll be better for everyone.
CreamHeroes
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by CreamHeroes »

I think I don't have these problems. Does it mean this is solved already? or is it just few people the ones who are having this problem?
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

Problems hit randomly, and some people are just luckier than others, this is how I see the tech world.
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hi Antonio,

Would you be able to give me some more info as this may help to identify the problem you are having please?

We aim to set our Cloudflare firewall to (hopefully) not block any of our regular users, whilst at the same time trying to block the many naughty spammers and hackers out there - but sometimes we need to tweak this to get it right. So...

Firstly, which country are you posting from?
Do you post from a fixed (single) IP address? (if you don't know, then you probably aren't, but it would help to know either way)
Also, do you know if your ISP is in the same country as you, or elsewhere?

Thanks everso if you can give us any more info, and we will look into it!
xxxx
Antonio
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Antonio »

YogiBoy wrote:Hi Antonio,

Would you be able to give me some more info as this may help to identify the problem you are having please?

We aim to set our Cloudflare firewall to (hopefully) not block any of our regular users, whilst at the same time trying to block the many naughty spammers and hackers out there - but sometimes we need to tweak this to get it right. So...

Firstly, which country are you posting from?
Do you post from a fixed (single) IP address? (if you don't know, then you probably aren't, but it would help to know either way)
Also, do you know if your ISP is in the same country as you, or elsewhere?

Thanks everso if you can give us any more info, and we will look into it!
xxxx
Hi YogiBoy,
thanks for taking interest in my report :)

Well, I don't think I have more info than that I posted above, I copied everything I was able to copy from the screenshot. I was using my smartphone while typing in the message I had on the PC. Well, I should have taken note of the IP address being blocked by the firewall, I didn't, sorry...
Unfortunately, or luckily, it worked fine yesterday so I can't be of more help at the moment unless the message appears again.
I am posting from Italy, I'm Italian, I live in the northwest area, close to Turin. My profile gives the precise location.
I have a dynamic IP, but as I wrote in another post I didn't reboot my router so the IP addreess shouldn't have changed. Well, yesterday at noon we had a blackout in the neighbourhood, but the router is powered via a UPS so it shouldn't reboot!
My ISP is Italian (Telecom Italia) and I reckon and hope that its servers are in this country.

I hope it helps :)
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

Hi Antonio,

Thanks for that!

I've had a look at our current IP filters for Italy, and it's not blocking that many. As you are able to access the site OK at the moment, for now we are thinking that maybe you were just unlucky before, and your connection came over an IP that had also been used previously by a spammer/hacker type source.

If it happens again, maybe you could note the IP address, and post back? (that will also then tell us where the server is located). Thanks!!

Fingers (& paws) crossed that it doesn't happen again though!!

Best Wishes
Yogi & his human helpers
xxxxxx
YogiBoy
Site Admin

Post by YogiBoy »

As CloudFlare has been mentioned on this thread, I wanted to post this information about the recently reported (and already fixed) CloudFlare bug, also being called #cloudbleed by twitter! This is both to reassure everyone that Cat Chat is NOT one of the sites affected, but also to suggest that if you have accounts with some of the affected sites (like Uber or Transport for London) we would suggest you change your passwords with them.

so.... Re: CloudFlare / #cloudbleed

Without boring you with too much technical stuff, Cat Chat uses a facility called “CloudFlare” which protects the site from most of the naughty hackers/spammers out there. CloudFlare is used and trusted by millions of sites around the world. Unfortunatey CloudFlare recently discovered a bug which meant that between 13th and 18th February, some sensitive information (like passwords) from a small number of sites was vulnerable to being leaked. The Good News is that Cat Chat is NOT one of the sites identified as having had any information leaked!

However – general advice on-line is to change passwords anyway, even though our particular site isn't on the 'affected' list. It's never a bad idea to change your passwords every so often anyway, so you may want to change your Forum password just as a precaution.

Have a good weekend!
Yogi & his human helpers
xxxxx

(PS you can check the list of ‘affected’ sites on the following page, and if you have accounts with any of them, (such as Uber taxis or Transport for London), you should change your passwords with any sites on the ‘affected’ list: https://github.com/pirate/sites-using-c ... /README.md )