2 cats and moving while rented harder than 1?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

2 cats and moving while rented harder than 1?

Post by charlie_rabbit01 »

So I'm a fur mummy to my beautiful Siamese Denzel (see left).

We've recently found out his breeder has another litter.

We live in rented and have permission for 1 cat, we are considering asking if we can have a second cat and then contacting the breeder about future litters.

Our only concern is as we rent it is likely we'd have to move at some point, does having 2 cats make it harder to find a place than with 1?
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: 2 cats and moving while rented harder than 1?

Post by Hunnybunny »

Please rescue instead of lining the pockets of a breeder.

1000's of cats and kittens destroyed a year as no homes so please don't buy......

Sorry but as a person running a rescue it is just soul destroying to see people buy instead of saving the life!!!!!!!
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

I'm not about to discuss buying over adopting again I did that the first time round I'm looking for advice on owning 2 cats over1 in rented wether the second is adopted or bought.

However we have considered adopting Terry the cat we think is a stray but Denzel doesn't get on with him.
geckodiva
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by geckodiva »

Years ago when 2 of mine were young I used to rent. I found the biggest problem to be finding places that accepted pets. Usually if they are not ruled out in the advert or your not asked when you enquire then it's not a problem how many (as long as you don't turn up with 20! ) I was lucky enough to find a landlord who was originally against pets but I convinced him to allow me to keep my 2. I had to convince him they wouldn't trash the carpets or bring in a flea infestation. And I offered to have the carpets cleaned before I left.

BTW Denzel looks really sweet all snuggled up.
sarie
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by sarie »

Two cats instead of one makes no difference in my experience. I rented and moved around with two cats for years without issue. If they're giving you permission for 1 then a second really makes no difference to them as far as risk to the property goes. Just continue down the usual route of offering to up the deposit and get the carpets cleaned and most landlords are fine with it. Getting permission to have any pets at all is usually the main hurdle - once you pass that then an additional cat isn't a usually a problem.
I've found 95% of adverts will say "No Pets" but it's just there as standard and when you enquire and offer a little additional deposit most landlords are open to it. I've only ever had one landlord refuse and to be fair she'd just had new carpets throughout the whole house so it was understandable.

Three cats seems to be the point at which landlords start to get a little more concerned and more than three and you'll find it harder. There are still landlords around who don't mind but two seems to be the sweet spot.

Best of luck! Don't give up too easily, some landlords require a little convincing but most are open to it with enough persistence and incentive.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

Thanks geckodiva and Sarie.

This is what I thought, we don't plan to move but you never know what might happen and we didn't want to find ourselves in a worse position by having 2 instead of 1.

Our current property was no pets when we moved in but after 6 months and 2 inspections we asked and were sent a letter specifically stating we could have 1 cat, but every time we've had an inspection since they letting agent has commented that she thought we had 2 cats!

We won't be getting another for a while though as we need to get permission and we're also going away so won't be around.

When we got Denzel we took a week of caternity leave.

Denzel is a proper little baby and is always cuddled up, but put motor sport on the tv and he's off like a shot with his nose against the tv swatting the cars.
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

More money than morals it would seem!!!!!
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

charlie_rabbit01 wrote:
caternity leave.

Love it :)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

charlie_rabbit01 wrote:Thanks geckodiva and Sarie.
Denzel is a proper little baby and is always cuddled up, but put motor sport on the tv and he's off like a shot with his nose against the tv swatting the cars.

Oh isn't he a darling! Will his possible future companion be from the same parents, do you think? Not that Denzel would realise of course - but who really knows? I agree that you shouldn't have any more trouble finding a place to rent than with one, especially if you get a positive reference from the current owner. Please post pictures if and when you get Denzel's new friend.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

Hi Lyn

Yes same parents so he will have a little brother or sister.

We need to give it a bit more thought to be sure we can afford the extra food, insurance etc Denzel likes waitrose or posh expensive food.

And check our current landlord says yes to kitty no. 2 but I don't see why not we've had a number of inspections since we got Denzel as a 13 week old kitten and the only damage is scratching on our own sofa which he no longer does.

We'd be getting from the litter in late autumn.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by oggers86 »

charlie_rabbit01 wrote:Hi Lyn

Yes same parents so he will have a little brother or sister.

We need to give it a bit more thought to be sure we can afford the extra food, insurance etc Denzel likes waitrose or posh expensive food.

And check our current landlord says yes to kitty no. 2 but I don't see why not we've had a number of inspections since we got Denzel as a 13 week old kitten and the only damage is scratching on our own sofa which he no longer does.

We'd be getting from the litter in late autumn.
Eek how exciting!! What colour is Denzel? My blue tabby Meezer is now nearly 5 months! They really are unique cats, I will never be without one now! Have they been born yet? Do you want a boy or girl?

Just offer to pay another pet deposit, offer to get the carpets cleaned when you leave and you should be fine.

ETA: Is he chocolate?
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

oggers86 wrote:
Eek how exciting!! What colour is Denzel? My blue tabby Meezer is now nearly 5 months! They really are unique cats, I will never be without one now! Have they been born yet? Do you want a boy or girl?

Just offer to pay another pet deposit, offer to get the carpets cleaned when you leave and you should be fine.

Not yet they'll be born july.

Denzel is an 11 month old chocolate point.

We're tempted by a second boy maybe a seal point.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by oggers86 »

charlie_rabbit01 wrote:
oggers86 wrote:

Not yet they'll be born july.

Denzel is an 11 month old chocolate point.

We're tempted by a second boy maybe a seal point.
I like the Seals although I think my favourite colour is blue. My breeder says boys are more affectionate than the girls. It is certainly true in my case but I don't know if it is because the older cats are girls or moggies.