What breed is the cat in the picture, please

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
vladimir2007
New Cat Chatter

What breed is the cat in the picture, please

Post by vladimir2007 »

Hi all,

My first post. The TL;DR version is that I wish to know the breed of cat in the picture found on the following Guardian webpage: http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... ive-mutism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cat.jpg
cat.jpg (14.8 KiB) Viewed 3512 times
The long version of the story is that my father brought one of these cats with him when he came home from Siberia. I really loved the cat (was around 8 y.o. at the time), we sent it to live with my gran in the country on a farm and it tragically passed away. I've wanted one ever since.

Cheers

Vlad
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: What breed is the cat in the picture, please

Post by Alice »

Looks to be a Ragdoll to me - very similar to the one in my avatar, Tilly, and she's a pedigree Ragdoll - a very friendly, docile, easy going breed and highly recommended!
vladimir2007
New Cat Chatter

Post by vladimir2007 »

Cool. Thanks for your reply, Alice :)

The cat that my dad brought from siberia may have been slightly different. He called it siamese at the time - but I'm sure that wasn't correct, because whilst this cat had bright blue eyes, and dark points, she was also very fluffy. Not at all like what the british call siamese, which to my understanding is short haired, quite skinny cats with a sort of "athletic" build.

Long story short - I do want a really nice, fluffy, white-hair-with-dark-points cat, and definitely NOT a siamese.

Are ragdolls easily attainable in the UK?
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Hi Vlad welcome to CC!

It could also be a Balinese - they are the long furred variety of Siamese! But looking at the white front paws (and my cat book) it could also be a Seal Point Birman. The legend says one (pure white then) was a temple cat and when the High priest died, its paws (which touched his body) stayed pure white while the rest of the body coloured! This "miracle" inspired the other priests to fight back and beat their enemy and from that day, all the temple cats were the same colour. A beautiful cat no matter what breed, I can see why you want one!

Please let us know how you get on.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Alice »

Hi Vlad
Yes, there are lots of Ragdolls in the UK. Mine came from a local pet rescue. They're expensive to buy as kittens, but you may be willing to give a home to one, or better still two, from a rescue organisation such as this one .......

http://www.ragdoll-rescue.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These websites will give you more information about the breed ....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ragdoll" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://cfa.org/Breeds/BreedsKthruR/Ragdoll.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

Birman
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Does look like a Burman, especially with the coloured front legs... maybe that's why your Dad got confused with Siamese, they are both oriental names.
vladimir2007
New Cat Chatter

Post by vladimir2007 »

Thanks for all the replies, guys and girls.

I've been talking to my dad about this actually, and seeing as it was bred in russia(siberia) - it's more than likely that the cat was one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thai_(cat" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

My guess is a Birman.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

The one in the picture is a Birman I'm sure, they have distinctive white feet and dark colour points.

Is the link correct? I'm not sure why a Thai would be bred in Russia - should the link have been to something else? A Thai is what some people are calling the more traditional shaped Siamese (Siam is now called Thailand). The show Siamese breeders select very pointy skinny looking cats which I think look horrible like gremlins! Thai cats are a bit more rounded...but they wont be that round and fluffy! They would probably not been around when you were younger, but they are basically a Siamese.
Balinese are long haired Siamese but they are still very slender and not at all like the big fluffy one in the picture.

If you want a fluffy breed look up Birmans, Ragdolls or Persians. Also plea look up Rushden Persian Rescue and see what beauties they have available. There are other similar breed rescues too if you want a particular breed. Just do a search and you will see, ou should be able to find one close to you.
Last edited by Hazel on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I have a Russian Blue, Vlad - not cute or fluffy, but very handsome and a great personality