How much do you spend on cat food?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

How much do you spend on cat food?

Post by risotto »

One of my cats had just been diagnosed with CKD so if I can find a renal diet he'll stick to, I suspect he's going to cost us £80/90 a month as he'll be on mainly wet food.

Just reviewing what to do about his sister. One cat food they've always eaten is Butchers Classic, so this with some pouches as treats and the odd quality try cat food, hasn't got a lot (and has suited us as our household income has gone down considerably - 25%. However, Butchers Classic hasn't been doing down well in recent months and as my boy can no longer help eat it, I need to review things and I just wondered how much others spend.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: How much do you spend on cat food?

Post by booktigger »

Have you looked online for prices of renal wet - think when I was doing the Zooplus order this week, they do RC for around £8 a box, and they do a variety of renal food you can't get over here. If it helps cost wise, you could do half renal and half senior, and maybe try your other cat on senior food - Buster liked Aldi pouches as they were a mix of jelly and gravy, and Pets at Home yellow boxes went down well, he didn't like the blue ones though.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

Are the PAH pouches the senior ones Desley? - on Tanya's CRD page, they list phosphorus content and PAH senior is the highest - even higher than most adult foods.

I noticed today that they sell Kattovit renal dry food, which is quite reasonable compared to brands like Hill's and RC. From memory, a 1.25kg bag is £7.99 and a 4kg bag is £17.99, so about 1/2 the price -it gets very good reviews too.

PS- To answer the orginal question, I don't know how much we spend. I stock up when it is on offer and buy odd top-up boxes here & there.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

MarkB wrote:Are the PAH pouches the senior ones Desley? - on Tanya's CRD page, they list phosphorus content and PAH senior is the highest - even higher than most adult foods.

I noticed today that they sell Kattovit renal dry food, which is quite reasonable compared to brands like Hill's and RC. From memory, a 1.25kg bag is £7.99 and a 4kg bag is £17.99, so about 1/2 the price -it gets very good reviews too.

PS- To answer the orginal question, I don't know how much we spend. I stock up when it is on offer and buy odd top-up boxes here & there.
Ooh, I didn't know that - they do two, the blue was basic and the yellow was more premium - I only went off fat and protein content with Buster - fat because he lost about 200g in one month, when I stopped the whiskas senior he gained it all, it had 1% less than the rest if I recall
risotto
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by risotto »

Thanks for your replies and cost cutting suggestions. RC does seem one of the most expensive, but I'll stick while he'll eat some, will certainly look at Zooplus prices. His sister had Royal Canin for a while and went off it after two boxes, so I dubious and can see me having to try something else and at least that will be cheaper.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

It is the PAH Purely senior that is high in phosphorus http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_uk.htm
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Didn't know that Mark. I've filed that for future ref.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Me too, thanks!
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

I spent a small fortune on a variety of renal foods, none of which Tig will eat! The only food which he will tolerate is the Hills k/d dry, so we have to compromise and he has a small portion of normal wet food with some k/d.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

MarkB wrote:It is the PAH Purely senior that is high in phosphorus http://www.felinecrf.org/canned_food_uk.htm
That would make sense, they are the high meat content ones, I used their normal range
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

Yes- the same reason I had to stop giving Clapton the Hi-life high meat pouches.