Going away and leaving your cat.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mapleg34
Returning Cat Chatter

Going away and leaving your cat.

Post by Mapleg34 »

I adopted a elderly cat about 5 weeks ago she has settled in really well and can't remember life before her . The problem is I am going away for a week in June and I am worried sick about leaving her. She can be quite vocal and clingy and will often cry until you have dropped everything to cuddle her. Her previous owner died in the new year which is why she found herself at the shelter. My dad is going in morning and night to check on her and feed her etc but I am having sleepless nights about her being by herself the majority of the time as she is a house cat. Any tips or suggestions.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: Going away and leaving your cat.

Post by meriad »

She'll be fine and happier staying at home with your dad coming in to care for her.

if she's allowed to sleep on your bed then leave the bed as it is, ie don't make it up clean for when you get home. Leave some 'dirty' clothing with your scent on it for her to lie on. Make sure curtains are open so she can sit on window sills and see outside and maybe invest in a small battery operated radio that you can leave on for her so there is some noise in the background.

I'm lucky that my neighbour comes in to look after my gang, and I do have more than one cat so they have each other for company. But I do think the cats usually cope better with our absences than us humans do. I am always totally fine when I'm away and look forward to my holiday. But that last day away I really start looking forward to getting back home to my furry gang and it makes the end of a holiday so much easier.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

I used to worry myself sick about leaving my cats, and never went away for ten years, but if you have a good catsitter, and especially with older cats, they will be fine. Mine sends me pics and even videos and sounds from my gang. I always know when I get home how well they have been cared for by how relaxed they are. You could leave the radio on a talking station too.
You are extremely fortunate to have your family support so you can go away. I had a cat run build so mine can get outdoors whilst I'm away but can't get near the road too.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Judy Barnett »

For the past two years Georgie has gone to a local cattery where she's made a huge fuss of. I booked her in again this year for June and when I mentioned her name the owner said, " oh, sweet Georgie Brown, I remember her she loves to have her tummy tickled doesn't she". In fact when we've gone to pick her up after the holiday she's looked at us very unenthusiasticly as if to say, "oh, YOUR back are you where's me pressie. :lol:
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by catslave16 »

I have reciprocal arrangements with two sets of neighbours; a young family next-door and a semi-retired couple a few doors down the road. The older man will always spend some time chatting to Rufus, as he did to Blake before him, but I've never left either of them for longer than a week. Whereas in my twenties I'd go abroad and leave Pussy for as long as a fortnight. She didn't play quite such a significant part in my life as Blake did, and Rufus does, as I had a husband, baby, more friends etc etc.
When I'm away my neighbour and I keep in touch by text, and vice versa, which is brilliant. I mean, you wouldn't actually phone your cat sitter from the other side of the world just to ask if Fluffball is coping, would you?
Actually, I'm sure some of you absolutely would. ;)
My worry peaks on my way home; the last 100 miles I'm wondering what I'll find when I get there, etc etc.
Cat mad and PROUD.