Providing for your cats in your Will?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Providing for your cats in your Will?

Post by JulieJulie »

So I'm not young, nor yet old, but for some reason lately I've started to worry about what will happen to my 9 cats in the event of my death and I want to ensure they are provided for.

I live alone, and have a very small family, neither of whom I trust to do the right thing by my little furry family. My dad won't want to know, and my sister once told me she'd put my feral straight back in the shelter - she now lives abroad anyway but I'm quite upset at her attitude and she's about to have any inheritance severely diminished to ensure the cats are looked after ha ha.

I do have friends who I trust to an extent, and have said they would take a couple of the cats each, but I also have 'hard to home'/feral and old cats, and having helped at a rescue for many years I know only too well that they could sit there for ever...or worse...

I was just wondering if anyone else has experience or suggestions on the best way to secure their future? You hear about the pets inheriting the house, but that sounds a bit extreme...! I want to ensure my cat-sitter can get paid to look after them in the interim (I'm getting her consent for this but don't see it as a problem.) I am also thinking about leaving a specific sum of money to pay for the vet bills of each cat.

Obviously I'll be talking to a solicitor about how to set up my wishes, but I'm just not clear about what I should be asking for a what is possible to set up that will be binding.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Providing for your cats in your Will?

Post by Kay »

I'm in the same sort of position, although I only have two cats, one getting on a bit, and I will try my hardest to stick to only one when she passes

but off the top of my head I was thinking that the arrangements which are being promoted of older or disabled people offering a home in return for some help could work in this situation, further down the line, and if it worked while the house owner was still alive then the will could stipulate that the house after death should continue to be rented to the liver-in at a low rent in return for looking after the cats - the fact that the house could be sold after the cats died ought to ensure they would be well looked after

you'd need a trustworthy executor to keep a check on things of course - and thinking even more off the top of my head, I wonder if a local rescue could be involved too in return for a donation in your will
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Similar position here and so far the best solution that I've come up with is to leave everything to a friend who I implicitly trust with the welfare of my cats. Said person could choose to either move in or sell up to buy somewhere more suitable for him/her, as long as the cats are well cared for for the rest of their natural life - that's all I'm worried about. And I'd probably make another friend the executor.

I mentioned this to my mom a while back and she thought I had gone a bit loopy, but hey - my decision. I do have a few items of jewellery and furniture that are of sentimental value and will go to the family, but the rest of everything is nothing special. My cats however mean the world to me
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

It's funny this should come up now. We are in the process of drawing up our Will's. I'm not intending to fall off the perch just yet but my mum turns 90 next month and says it's about time she made a Will.

I'll leave everything to OH and he leaves everything to me. But if we pop-off together, we are lucky enough to have relatives on both sides who are kitty people (don't worry Jude it's not all down to you :lol: :lol: )

It's made me think, it's better to sort all this out now than leave a mess for someone to sort out and gives me the opportunity to not only secure a future for whatever pets I have, but to write some words of love and encouragement to the junior members of my family. Our Solicitor said all this can be included and kept on file.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by alanc »

My will expressly appoints a trustee and puts a specific sum of money aside for continued support of any cat of mine still living when I die. Which reminds me, I must revise the will to increase the amount - it was more than adequate when drawn up, but Tilly has more expensive tastes that Sally did!
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

I'll leave everything to OH and he leaves everything to me. But if we pop-off together, we are lucky enough to have relatives on both sides who are kitty people (don't worry Jude it's not all down to you :lol: :lol: )

That's ok Sue I don't mind being a mad old cat lady. :lol:
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by Mayday21 »

Hi I've recently revisited my will and I've really no extended family. My assets - if any - to be divided 25% to RSPCA & Animal Welfare League & 50% to Little Paws & as they're a 'no kill' charity ive stipulated they will take them. It's good to read that others are in similar situations. Vivian
JulieJulie
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by JulieJulie »

Thanks for the replies! I'm still doing some research on this and I'll share anything that seems important when I'm done.
judes
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by judes »

Oddly enough I have just redone my will I now live on my own,slightly complicated as been separated for years never got around to all the legal bits!
I'm grateful that one of my brothers is happy to look after my 4 which my son isn't,though when it comes to it I'm sure he will.
As a further comment I have also done 2 lasting powers, of attorney one for health and one for finances. It does mean if I have an accident, get seriously ill or mentally incapable
others can act on my behalf and the kitty's will be looked after. You have to register lasting powers of attorney with The Office of Public Guardian ship otherwise they are not valid.
Judes
catslave16
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by catslave16 »

I live on my own, only family is my son 200 plus miles away. I update my will regularly - everything goes to my son, with legacies to one or two kitty charities. I also have an advance directive ('living will') and have left instructions for my funeral.
I'm 62, not in particularly good health, but I've been living in this fantasy that Rufus and I, staidly middle-aged and contented together at the moment, will sort of 'go together'. Or that I'll outlive him - just. Which is completely idiotic of me.
Rufus was bereaved once before. He lives with me because the old lady he'd adopted (sic) died.
Darn, I thought I was so clear-eyed and organised. This has really given me something to think about.
Glad it's been brought up though.