diet help

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
touie
New Cat Chatter

diet help

Post by touie »

I have 2 cats aged 7 and 8, they have throughout their lives had bouts of digestive problems, one is sick the other gets diarrhea. They are otherwise healthy and have in the past seen a vet for it, no ongoing treatment needed just diet changes.

I need advice on their diet, at the moment they each get half a pouch of wet (over 50% meat) and a handful of dried (sensitive stomach) food in the morning and the same in the evening.

Is this too much or about right?

What brands are easily available, not too expensive and good... I mostly use purely, feline fayre and HiLife wet food and Purina sensitive stomach dried food. Are there any known problems with these?
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: diet help

Post by Kay »

can't help much, as my two have strong stomachs generally, but my Tiffany is always violently sick if she eats any fresh meat, higher quality food or treats of any kind - and neither will eat lumps - so they live on Gourmet pate and James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin dry without any problems

I believe it is not uncommon for cats to find the better quality foods with high meat content too rich for them
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I’ve had a few cats with sensitivites. Two we adopted together had runny tummys but were fine with Purina One. A couple of my oldies have had problems with fish flavoured cat foods, and my current cat was fine with Webbox initially but is sick the minute she has one now. One thing I have found though is frequent problems with Hi Life, a few of my cats have been sick after eating it so I don’t buy it any more. Best of luck sorting it out, it can be a minefield especially if the symptoms don’t occur straight away.
touie
New Cat Chatter

Post by touie »

Thanks I have just bought some gourmet perle and webbox to try. Fingers crossed it helps at least one of them.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

touie wrote: I need advice on their diet, at the moment they each get half a pouch of wet (over 50% meat) and a handful of dried (sensitive stomach) food in the morning and the same in the evening.

Is this too much or about right?
My kitten eats more than your cats. He has two pouches and a handful of dried food. They recommend four 100g pouches for a an adult cat, but if you feed less pouches you make it up with more dried food.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Mine love Gourmet especially the pates and fine with those. But as I said my cat can’t tolerate Webbox, although that’s the sticks, not sure about the dry as I’ve not tried that. Best of luck.
touie
New Cat Chatter

Post by touie »

Well they had the gourmet yesterday evening and I was still woken my cat number 1 emptying her stomach at 6.15am in preparation for breakfast, and cat number 2 doing a nice loose stinky poo in the litter tray. See what happens after a few days.