Adopting Dexter

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Dexter101
New Cat Chatter

Adopting Dexter

Post by Dexter101 »

Hi everyone, first post so please bare with me.

Almost three weeks ago I adopted an 8 year old FIV positive cat. Dexter is an incredible story really. When he arrived at the shelter, he was infested with scabbies and in very poor health. After going through the treatment for them and another for his eye, he recovered very nicely for a cat in his shape, I was told.
I did what research I could about his illness, before adopting him. I knew there would be a lot of vet visits and a lot of work to keep him healthy and happy. I was totally prepared.
After two days of being home, Dexter had a cold. To the vet we went, antibiotics and he was good to go or so I thought. I noticed after a week his breathing was the same. On the follow up appointment to the vet, I was told that Dexter needed additional surgeries in order to relieve the congestion he was having. He is now scheduled on 6/2 for two different surgeries, another on his eye and another on his left k9 tooth, which has been broken previously.
I only want him comfortable and happy. He has been through so much, and the real reason for the post is to get some insight from first hand cat owners with FIV. I have already added lysine to his diet as well as a supplement the vet suggested for his skin and coat. Is there anything else apart from normal cleanliness that I should be doing to help improve his health? Any suggestions are welcomed, especially since he will be going through surgery soon.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Adopting Dexter

Post by Ruth B »

I can't give any advice as I've never had an FIV+ cat, but I just wanted to say a thank you to you for taking Dexter on and making sure he gets all the treatment he needs.

I know there are others here with experience of FIV and hopefully they will be along soon to give advice. There are also special FIV forum boards so if you haven't seen them they are probably worth a read through as well.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi there and welcome to CC.

First of all, well done you for giving this little boy a new start. He is lucky to have found you.

I don't know how long you have been following CC (some folks follow for ages before their first post) but I joined because of my boy Bob. My husband rescued him just as he was about to be washed into the harbour! He was only about two weeks old and at first it appeared that only one of his legs were working. It appears that he was born with a nerve damaged front leg. His weak back legs recovered but the front left leg was beyond repair. He managed fine with it until a cut got infected. It would not heal and it was then we found out he was FIV+. The vet amputated his leg and he had several doses of strong AB's. It was a long road to recovery - but he made it. He is an outdoor/indoor cat and bounces along with my three girl cats. He is generally in very good health (considering his start) and is sitting next to me with a feather hanging off his whiskers! :roll:

I've posted his story to show you there is hope for Dexter.

I'm no expert on the matter, but I am wondering why he needs surgery for congestion? Perhaps others can answer that. But I would have thought another course of a different AB would have been the way to go. Also, what is wrong with his eye that it needs surgery?

Is your vet the same one that the shelter has? If not could you go back to the shelter and ask for more details about the treatment he received?

I'm coming over as a very suspicious type of person aren't I! Perhaps all the surgeries are necessary, but I am reminded of the time I had a new dentist. He reeled off a long (and very expensive) list of things I 'needed'. Then I told him I was unemployed ...... I got a scale and polish and was told I needed no more!

I have waffled on long enough. I wish you all the very best and hope you will keep in touch and let us know how you and Dexter go on.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

Bobby's girl's post reminds me of a kitten we had when I was a child. He had short front legs, blocked tear ducts and a hair lip (should I also mention it was our vet who told us about him and suggested that he needed a good home ;) . While nothing could be done about his legs, i could imagine some people thinking that his tear ducts and hair lip should have been operated on, pure for cosmetic reasons. The blocked tear ducts meant that his face needed cleaning regularly as the excess fluid from the eyes just ran down his face, the hair lip gave an odd appearance, but it didn't extend to his pallet so was just superficial. He never had surgery for any of it and still lived life to the full, it does make me wonder if a lot of surgery. both for animals and humans, is more for cosmetic reasons than for real physical well being.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I would also question the need for surgery to help with congestion, I've never come across that. And to be honest, with his age and history, if that broken tooth isn't bothering him (and most don't, unless they are rubbing the gum), I wouldn't have that removed at this point either.