50 pouches for £5 in Asda

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

50 pouches for £5 in Asda

Post by MarkB »

Tiger bumper box of 50 pouches, mixed gravy and jelly - cereal free. It is the same food that Sainsbury's, Tesco. Co-op and Morrisons sell as own brand

10p a pouch. I can't find it on their website. Hopefully this is accurate http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-com ... x100g.html

It is normally £8, which is good anyway.
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: 50 pouches for £5 in Asda

Post by Alice »

I'm surprised, Mark, as it was showing on their website yesterday - I checked before I went, and got a box for £5. :) I can't see it on the website now. I wonder if the offer has just ended. I don't know what day they change.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

We normally shop at Asda as it's closest and they do tend to have some really good deals on. However I would advise anyone to check their prices carefully, they do seem to have a habit of advertising something as a bargain, but when you actually do the maths it isn't one, maybe worth carrying a small calculator and magnifier as well if you haven't a partner with good eyesight and a head for mental arithmetic.

Not cat food, but one that will always stick in my mind was some bread rolls, 50p each or 3 for £1.50 as the multi buy bargain.
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

No idea what day the offers change. Asda is a trip for me, as there isn't one nearby. I usually do Lidl and Asda on the same day, although now we have a local Aldi, I don't do it that often. 10p a pouch has to be the best ever deal though.

It is the same food that I pay £2.59 for 12 pouches for in the Co-op (You can tell by the pouches - they have the flavour printed with a dot matric printer on the pouches - hard to read and it is made in Ireland). Mine eat it as a change from their AGAIL etc and the hedgies eat it :) - The gravy version is about the only one on the market that doesn't contain cereals.

Ruth, the Co-op are always advertising 'deals' like that - 50p each or any 2 for £1 etc. I have pointed them out to staff and they just shrug.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

MarkB wrote:It is the same food that Sainsbury's, Tesco. Co-op and Morrisons sell as own brand
Please would you explain that to my lot Mark.... Sainsburys own in gravy they'll eat (well Harry, Ava and Abbie will) but any other own brand in gravy you'd swear I was trying to poison them.

They are funny
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

That's odd, as I am certain it is the same food. You can tell by the silver pouches with the dot-matrix printing on. The only thing that seems to vary from shop to shop is the flavours. Morrison's sell it under the Pascoe's brand.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

I'll give it another go; will report back :D
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by papa cat »

My two cats won't eat any of the "own brand" supermarket cat food !
They seem to be all made by the same firm in Ireland and marketed under different "own-brands"
They are now getting a bit picky over Whiskas and Felix can anyone suggest another "reputable" brand that is reasonably priced ?
Alice
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by Alice »

I wonder if the 'own brands' you've tried include those from Lidl and Aldi? If you've a convenient branch I'd suggest you give some of them a try. My two Ragdolls really like the foil trays of pate type from both of them (perhaps made at the same place?) and they're sold individually at 19p for 100g - salmon, poultry, rabbit, turkey, tuna, so you don't need to buy a big pack and find you've a lot they won't eat.
Lidl Premium pouches in jelly are decent quality and mine like those, too. At £1.99 for 12 x 100g they're worth trying.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

I have ordered 2 boxes of Gourmet Pearl from asda to be delivered later. I will see if they are any more pleasing to my cats, if they are ignored I will give your suggestion a try.
By the way, I have discovered that Purina have an address in Dublin ! I wonder if it is them that make the "own brands !
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

my cats are very reluctant to eat anything with lumps, but will always eat Gourmet Gold Pate and Gourmet Souffle

I buy in bulk from Zooplus, who offer more varieties than supermarkets, but you can pick up single tins in Tesco etc to try on them

I rather like tins as opposed to pouches, because they are recyclable and easier to get the food out
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by MarkB »

papa cat wrote:I have ordered 2 boxes of Gourmet Pearl from asda to be delivered later. I will see if they are any more pleasing to my cats, if they I have discovered that Purina have an address in Dublin ! I wonder if it is them that make the "own brands !
Very likely. I thought the same, although the food is nothing like and Purina branded food. The reason I thought it, is because ages ago I read an article somewhere about supermarket own brand cat food. They had asked various supermarkets who supplied their cat food. They had all declined to answer, except for the Co-op, who said that Purina make theirs. Given that it is the same in all the major supermarkets, I put 2 and 2 together :lol: - the 400g own-brand tins are also the same in all the supermarkets(at least the jelly and gravy ones are) including Waitrose.
papa cat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by papa cat »

The Gourmet Perle was scoffed and they literally licked the bowl clean !!
It cost a lot more than the own brands but I was throwing 90% of that away so it was a false economy.
It's also more expensive than Whiskas and Felix but it has a higher meat content.