very poorly old cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
paulrosie
New Cat Chatter

very poorly old cat

Post by paulrosie »

Hi - I don't really know where to turn so was hoping for some friendly advice.

I have a 22yr old tabby that's been getting slower and slower - she took a turn yesterday and stopped eating.

today she looks so vacant and her back legs gave way. Shes walking like a shes drunk.

I know people say 'you'll know when it's time" - I hate to say it but I think that's what I'm feeling now.

she s been active until about 4 months ago when she started going randomly for wees and poops on the house. she was sick a couple if times recently as well which I put down to her eating the neighbours cat food.

she almost appears to be looking through me, like she's gone already. I am absolutely heartbroken having had her for 22 years.

any advice much appreciated.

thank you
Paul
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Re: very poorly old cat

Post by bobbys girl »

Hi Paul, welcome to CC, I'm just sorry it is under such circumstances.

I had a dog once who went the same way, it was a stroke. We got him to the vets and he just stood there gazing into the distance while the vet examined him. As a younger dog, I would have been worried for the vets safety, so I knew my old lad had come to the end.

It is never easy, especially when you have been together for so long. It sounds like you know what you have to do. Speak to your vet tomorrow and see what he says.

We can't be there with you, but we are here for you - whenever you need to talk. Gentle fusses to your girl.
Josief
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by Josief »

Oh Paul, my heart goes out to you.

I am not an expert but some of the symptoms you describe could be signs of kidney problems. I had a Persian who reached nearly 18 and had had many health issues over his last few years, but it was the day that he turned down food - fresh chicken and fish - and just looked like he couldn't be bothered any more that I knew what I had to do. The blood tests he had had done the previous week had showed his kidneys were also starting to fail him at that point.

What an amazing age she has reached and it sounds like she has had so much love in that time. I am sure you will know what is best for her and hopefully a vet will reassure and advise you.

It is never easy and how we wish they could talk and just tell us what they want us to do...

J
7cats
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by 7cats »

Hi Paul

It is never easy to see a loved friend go downhill. I think deep down you know what phonecall you may be making in the morning and that's the worse bit, ringing up to book the appointment. Don't worry about blubbing down the phone to the receptionist, they will have heard it hundreds of times.

Our first cat Lucy, we left the decision too late (hands up, we admit it) as she was vacant, staggering a few steps, laying down, laboured breathing, skinny as a rake. Looking back, it was awful to see her in that way and I'm sure it upset Leo (our boy cat she totally bonded with) as he was depressed for a good couple years after, despite us making sure he had company ready for when Lucy went.
We've both said we wouldn't leave another cat as late as what she was.

Make a big fuss of her, grooms, pets, treats if she'll have them. Maybe take some photos of her asleep and snuggled up.

Thinking of you all x
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Judy Barnett »

So sorry to hear about your lovely old girl 22, wow. We lost our 17 year old earlier on this year. He'd been losing weight for a while and we'd known about his renal failure for some time. We were treating him for that when he developed heart failure as well, and then we just knew, if we kept him going any longer it would just be for us and that wasn't fair. It's never easy coming to the decision. All you can do is take the vet's advice and make sure she has everything she needs for as long as possible. We're all thinking about you. Xxx
7cats
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by 7cats »

Hi Paul

How is she this morning ? Hope all is ok

T x
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi Paul, been following this thread and thinking about you both x
paulrosie
New Cat Chatter

Post by paulrosie »

wow I am totally in awe of the care and compassion received from everyone, thank you so much- my plan was to make 'that' call this morning.

I went to bed at 2am after gently stroking her head as she looked so, so tired with it all.

got up a 6am this morning to find she had passed during the early hours.

totally heartbreaking but am so glad I didn't have to take her somewhere stressful- she looked so peaceful and was in the exact same position I left her in.

the vet said 3 months ago she's showing early signs of kidney problems so we switched to a low protein cat food which probably gave her that extra time.

so at 9am this morning my 9 year son and I buried her in garden where the sun shines all day - we all went out after and the wife bought a beautiful rose bush to plant there- after all her name was Rosie so it seemed apt.

again thank you for all your best wishes - she was an old girl and went in the best possible way, in her sleep

thanks x
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'm so sorry to hear this, but glad she went peacefully, what a lovely gesture with the rose bush. RIP little one
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

So sad to hear she's left you, but better that she could go at home, in her sleep, wish they could all go like that when their time comes. Sleep tight little Rosie x
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Yes, it's so sad to lose her, but it sounds like she went quickly, in her sleep and in her home.

The rose is a lovely idea. Our dog Rosie is buried under a rosa mundi rose. It has flowered beautifully this year.

RIP sweet Rosie.
paulrosie
New Cat Chatter

Post by paulrosie »

thank you again - your words are so helpful. I keep getting a smell that I noticed last night. Not horrible at all but certainly different and one I've not had before. Almost like a dusty fragrance - I noriced it last night and keep getting it today, even when I'm out the house. Comforting in a way.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Ah. I don't know what that means precisely but I had the same experience shortly after moving to my present house, and that scent stayed with me for years. I could NOT pin it down to any toiletry, washing powder etc, absolutely no apparent source. A couple of silly neighbours took great delight in telling me that my house is 'haunted' and that one woman who moved in could only stay 2 days.

I know it's a matter of personal belief but I was no stranger to the 'paranormal' or whatever you like to call it and I've always felt very comfortable in this house, so I reckon that scent was a sign of a benign presence, and so it sounds to be where you and your family and Rosie are concerned.

I think sweet Rosie is still with you :)