What wet food brand do you use?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
FelixTheCat
Returning Cat Chatter

What wet food brand do you use?

Post by FelixTheCat »

Since my cat began turning his nose up at the Weruva I usually feed him, are there any other good brands you use? Preferably I'm looking for something I can get in the UK easily.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: What wet food brand do you use?

Post by meriad »

I've never heard of Weruva, is it available here in the

It all depends on your cat, what it likes and doesn't and what your budget is - the best food is a food your cat will eat. I've tried feeding mine raw food, expensive high meat content foods etc and have wasted so much money I'm sure I could have retired by now. So now after years of determined trying and dismal failing I stick to what they'll eat - Felix As Good as it Looks wet and Arden Grange Dry. They are the main foods I feed

I sometimes buy another food called My Star is a foodie http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cann ... wet/588509 which only one of mine will eat. Sainsbury own brand chunks in gravy go down well with two others But the Felix AGAIL seems to be fine for all

Needs to be said that because of a suspected cereal intolerance one of my cats has, all cats by default are fed cereal / wheat free

So find a food your cat will eat and tolerate and go from there
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

the two strays I feed outdoors like Felix AGAIL fish flavours, and my two indoors always leave the lumps of everything in gravy or jelly, so now only have Gourmet Gold Pate, and Gourmet Souffle, which results in licked clean dishes regardless of flavour

I buy both online from Zooplus - the Felix because it's cheaper there, and the Gourmet because they offer a wider range of flavours than the supermarkets
FelixTheCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by FelixTheCat »

meriad wrote:I've never heard of Weruva, is it available here in the

It all depends on your cat, what it likes and doesn't and what your budget is - the best food is a food your cat will eat. I've tried feeding mine raw food, expensive high meat content foods etc and have wasted so much money I'm sure I could have retired by now. So now after years of determined trying and dismal failing I stick to what they'll eat - Felix As Good as it Looks wet and Arden Grange Dry. They are the main foods I feed

I sometimes buy another food called My Star is a foodie http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/cann ... wet/588509 which only one of mine will eat. Sainsbury own brand chunks in gravy go down well with two others But the Felix AGAIL seems to be fine for all

Needs to be said that because of a suspected cereal intolerance one of my cats has, all cats by default are fed cereal / wheat free

So find a food your cat will eat and tolerate and go from there
Thanks for the suggestions :) I haven't had much luck with Felix products in the past. Very recently heard about Zooplus it seems good for prices, and that product you linked seems interesting. Just wondering, do you have any experience with any of these?

http://www.elmridgecats.co.uk/best-wet-food/

I heard through the grapevine that the foreign brands like Finefoods are quite good.
FelixTheCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by FelixTheCat »

Kay wrote:the two strays I feed outdoors like Felix AGAIL fish flavours, and my two indoors always leave the lumps of everything in gravy or jelly, so now only have Gourmet Gold Pate, and Gourmet Souffle, which results in licked clean dishes regardless of flavour

I buy both online from Zooplus - the Felix because it's cheaper there, and the Gourmet because they offer a wider range of flavours than the supermarkets
I've seen Gourmet but never tried it. Might have to give the gold pate a go then!
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

I'm another that seems to end up buying just Felix AGAIL and a few tins of Gourmet Gold. Mine won't eat the normal Felix, but the As Good as it Looks always goes down well. Its also wheat free and has one of the higher protein levels as well.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

My Tilly likes Gourmet Gold Fish Pate or Duck and Turkey in gravy. She is also partial to Sheba Fresh Choice succulent cuts in gravy (not so keen on the fish variety). Fortunately, our local Coop frequently has all of these on offer, when I do some bulk buying - Tilly being a large cat, she eats a lot! As a consequence of a bout of Pancreatitis a few years ago when I had to tempt her back to eating, she is also keen on the many varieties of Thrive and Canagan, which are twice as expensive as the Gourmet Gold, but what Tilly likes is what Tilly gets, or I'm in the doghouse.
FelixTheCat
Returning Cat Chatter

Post by FelixTheCat »

Ruth B wrote:I'm another that seems to end up buying just Felix AGAIL and a few tins of Gourmet Gold. Mine won't eat the normal Felix, but the As Good as it Looks always goes down well. Its also wheat free and has one of the higher protein levels as well.
Oh that's very interesting, I haven't had luck with the normal Felix but if the AGAIL line is different that might be worth a look. Also should be easy to get in stores. Ordering online can be cheaper but I always have the bad luck of missing the postman and having to make a trip the next day down to the postal office just to get it.
Gill_2017
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by Gill_2017 »

Both my little one and older cat get Felix as good as it looks and they love it. Asda always have it on offer 2 boxes for £7 so we tend to buy ours from there.
    FelixTheCat
    Returning Cat Chatter

Post by FelixTheCat »

Gill_2017 wrote:
      Both my little one and older cat get Felix as good as it looks and they love it. Asda always have it on offer 2 boxes for £7 so we tend to buy ours from there.
      Ah that's handy to know! I got some AGAIL to try, will let you all know how it goes :)
      don1976
      Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

I'm taking an interest in this thread, as a potential soon-to-be owner. As we're adopting, we'll probably start off buying the same sort of food that kitty is already used to - then make some decisions about what to feed long term.

Out of interest, do some wet foods smell better than others in terms of litter tray odour ?
      meriad
      VIP Cat Chatter!
      No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

don1976 wrote:Out of interest, do some wet foods smell better than others in terms of litter tray odour ?
      I think so yes.... I personally think Whiskas as a food both before consumption and after output is one of the smellier ones :lol:

Generally you'll find the higher the meat content the less poop there'll be as the body will absorb more. As a potential soon to be owner the thing to look for is that the wet foods you are feeding are labelled as complete. There are a few that are labelled as complementary and that means that whilst tasty and filling they won't have the necessary minerals and vitamins a cat needs; taurine being one of the most important as lack thereof can lead to blindness.

If you're feeding both wet and dry then make sure the dry is as good a quality as you can afford. Look at the list of ingredients and make sure the first ingredient listed is a meat... Go-Cat, Whiskas Dry and many supermarket own cheaper ones will list cereals first and that will indicate that the main / largest ingredient in the food is just that - a bulk / filler with no nutritional value at all. So the higher the meat content of the dry the better. Then you can happily feed complementary foods alongside as the cat will get what it needs from the dry. As far as I am aware all dry foods are complete