Need help - URGENT PLEASE

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Obaidi
New Cat Chatter

Need help - URGENT PLEASE

Post by Obaidi »

Hi guys,

I am on humanitarian deployment in Juba - South Sudan. We went for dinner last night and we almost drover over a little kitten. her leg is a little bit injured but she is doing fine. She walks slowly because of it but I don't think it's serious injury.

My question is about food, this kitten is around 6 or 7 weeks old. I have zero access to pets food in Juba so I only have milk, the milk that we drink.

She had some of that milk but vomited after some hours. now she is drinking but very little shots of milk and then she stops. I can tell that she is hungry as she tried to suck on my hand when I have in my lap.

Please help me and give me some guidance on food. I am giving her water too and a lot of love but I don't think this is enough.

Help!

thanks,
Obaidi
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Need help - URGENT PLEASE

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Hello Obaidi

The little one is likely to be lactose intolerant as most cats are and the milk that we drink will not suit her. It doesn't sound likely that you will get hold of kitten milk where you are, but as long as she has water she will have liquid intake. Until you can get her proper cat food which you will have to order on line if there is no where there which does it, she will need lightly cooked chicken, white fish, bland foods which do not stress her tummy. You don't usually need to go to a pet store to get proper cat food, although obviously I don't know the position in Sudan. But if anyone does have domestic cats there supermarkets are likely to provide something. You need to get some food into the baby asap and make sure she has water. If you can sent someone out to scour the supermarkets and other food stores need you whilst you stay with the baby, tell them to ideally look for pouches of tins of kitten food, or failing that standard cat food. Typical brands which may be internationally available are Felix and Whiskas, but there may be local brands.

Hopefully someone else will get back to you soon.

Well done for caring for the baby. Stop the full lactose milk now - that's why she was sick! XX
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi Obaidi,

Milk doesn't go down well with most cats as most are intolerant it will upset their tummies. Can you get in touch with a vet ASAP so that they you can explain and advise what to do in this situation. Hopefully other forum users will be along to help but that would be my advice to you.
Obaidi
New Cat Chatter

Post by Obaidi »

Hi Sarah and Janey,

I got canned tuna and cook some chicken to her. Man you should see her how she ate, she was starving. I wished that I had posted this inquiry yesterday.

She is so happy now.

Thank you so much for your help guys.

Cheers,
Obaidi
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

Hi Obaidi

Just to say well done on helping this little kit! Are you going to keep her?

Please give her a fuss from me and let us know how you get on!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That's good Obaidi! Well done. Can you get her to a vet for a check up? She's probably too young to be away from her mum so will need lots of care from you. The fish and chicken are good but see if you can source some kitten food as well on line if necessary. We're all rooting for you and your new little girl!
Obaidi
New Cat Chatter

Post by Obaidi »

Hi Guys, we name this lovely Kitten Tomato (don't ask why :)

So yes I am going to keep her for the three weeks remaining in my deployment and after that someone else in the office will take care of her.

Unfortunately there is no vet in this country. this place is suffering from so many humanitarian crisis and we barely support hospitals and internal displaced people.

Overall, everybody in our office loves and is willing to take care of her when I go back home. She is in a good hands.

Thank you again for your nice notes and support.

Cheers,
Obaidi
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

That's good news, Obaidi. It sounds as if Tomato has fallen on her little paws. Good luck with your next post.