New cat obsessed with our hamster

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

New cat obsessed with our hamster

Post by don1976 »

We've noticed that our newly adopted Minnie is obsessed with our hamster - I assume it's something brand new to her.
She can't get at him at all as I've added an extra layer of perspex (with airholes) around the cage so she can't get her paws/claws in between the cage bars.
She just loves to perch herself on the back of the sofa, eagle-eyed looking at the cage. She'll eventually fall asleep in situ, but once there's some movement/noise from the cage, she's awake and staring again.
Other times, she'll just sit on the floor, looking upwards towards the cage.

The hamster seems oblivious to it all. I haven't dared to get the hamster out of the cage whilst the cat is about just yet - I think I'll save that for when she's locked away in another room.

It's not a problem, but it's absolutely fascinating observing the cat watching the hamster.
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: New cat obsessed with our hamster

Post by Ruth B »

It may be stating the obvious be i would be very, Very, wary of letting a hamster out of its cage while there was a cat loose in the room. It doesn't matter how well they seem to get on or how oblivious they seem to be to the other animal, never forget that at the end of the day a hamster is only a squeaky cat toy as far as a cat is concerned. Even using something like the perspex hamster balls isn't a good idea, for while you know the hamster is safe in the ball, the hamster probably doesn't realise it, it can see a giant hamster eating monster out there and can't run to safety properly, which can lead to a very scared hamster.

Properly supervised and separated they should be fine but I would try and make sure that the hamster does have somewhere he can hide away from the staring eyes of Minnie should he want to.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

Hi Ruth we overlapped.

Lol - takes me back to my days on snake forums when it used to be suggested to people whose royal pythons weren't eating (this is normal in autumn/winter as that's the royals' mating season) to keep a hamster in the room; the scent was claimed to kick-start the pythons' appetites. Don't know if it worked or how the poor old hammy felt about it,surrounded by a lot of slavering snakes! :shock:

Even the sweetest cat can be a tiger when it comes to rodents, butterflies or whatever; Don, you're very wise to be cautious. But I used to know a Devon Rex called Muesli, an incredibly portly, placid girl, laid back was an understatement. Her teenage owner volunteered to take care of the school mice during the holidays and so they were set up in his bedroom, in a fish tank with a lid. Muesli liked to sit on the lid, and meditate.

One day the lad's mother happened to go into his room and to her horror found that the lid had collapsed under the cat's weight.

Muesli was sitting IN the tank, still meditating, while the mice scampered happily around the bulk of their new-found friend who'd just dropped in...

Not a mouse was harmed, honest! :o :lol:

On a more callous note, I reckon the hammy's a very good thing - Minnie will appreciate a home where the humans provide her with this standard of entertainment - apologies to the hammy :D
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

I'm convinced she'd happily attack if given the chance - in the wild, she would be his natural predator, but the cage is built like a tank and with the added protection, the little hammy is safe. I'm sure she's not sat there wanting to be friends. It's quite a large cage with plenty of hidey holes so lots of scope for him to scurry out of sight if needs be.

I always remember that tv advert with the dog and the cat and the mouse all sat next to eachother in front of an open fire, giving eachother a kiss, but of course in real life things aren't like that.

I knew she'd be interested in the hamster, but I hadn't prepared myself for the obsession she has with him. The novelty may well wear off in time.
Like I say, it's not necessarily an issue, but it is fascinating to observe.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

[quote=“Ruth B"]I would try and make sure that the hamster does have somewhere he can hide away from the staring eyes of Minnie should he want to.[/quote]

Totally agree, the little hamster may be scared stiff when he sees the cat staring in, don’t want to have a heart attack. I’m sure you will make sure he feels safe though.
Judy Barnett
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Judy Barnett »

Georgia is just the same when I clean my canary out. I separate the top half and wash the tray and base in the sink. The top half remains on the work top next to me with Busby inside. Georgia then sits on the windowsill staring motionless at him. And when I give a cough she looks up as if to say, I'm only guarding him mummy. I love her to bits but I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her, which wouldn't be far, the great lump. :)
don1976
Experienced Cat Chatter

Post by don1976 »

Janey wrote:
“Ruth B" wrote:I would try and make sure that the hamster does have somewhere he can hide away from the staring eyes of Minnie should he want to.
Totally agree, the little hamster may be scared stiff when he sees the cat staring in, don’t want to have a heart attack. I’m sure you will make sure he feels safe though.
The cat sits about half a metre away, and I'm led to believe hamsters can only see a few inches in front, so I'm quite sure hammy won't see the cat. Whether he could smell the cat and get scared, I don't know.
He's still as bold as ever coming to the front of the cage, cat or no cat, so I don't think it's really bothering him.