HELP! Kitten and Cat meeting for first time

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
abreunig
New Cat Chatter

HELP! Kitten and Cat meeting for first time

Post by abreunig »

We just got a kitten last night and she is currently in an isolated room. We have a 2 year old male cat and a 9 year old pit bull. Our other cat now just sits outside the door of the room the kitten is in. He is always calm and able to be pet and even purrs in front of the door the kitten is in. Is this normal? I was expecting a way worse reaction. Do you think it would be ok to have them see each other face to face or should I wait a few more days?

We got the first cat as a kitten also and introduced him to the dog and now they are besties. I've just never introduced 2 cats.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: HELP! Kitten and Cat meeting for first time

Post by greenkitty »

Not all introductions go badly! You could try opening the door and see how he reacts to the kitten, kittens are normally quite easy to introduce so give it a go and gauge his reactions. With the dog I would be more cautious, kittens can be full of mischief so I wouldn't leave him unsupervised with the dog for a while until the kitten knows the boundaries. Good luck!
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: HELP! Kitten and Cat meeting for first time

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

When we brought our 6 year old ex stray home in January he went straight into the bonding room and by that evening our 9 year old girl was sitting out side the room asking to meet the stranger. So after 24 hours we opened the door and they were just pleased to meet each other. Sometimes it just works out like that. Our other older cat is not so enamoured by new arrivals but they all chug along now. So you could open the door and be on hand to guage how it's going. As Greenkitty says, your dog is a lot bigger and stronger, and will need to be monitored for a while but hopefully they will all pal up.