Can I have some advice please?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Can I have some advice please?

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I just want to know what I should do for Bella.....it is 2 weeks today since we got Bella, she has been upstairs in the bedroom ever since, my instinct is to leave her till she is ready to come out & down stairs on her own, but someone told me to bring her down, feed her down stairs........so which is the right thing to do?
She is eating very well, prefers fish based food to meat, like the Burns dry food, plays with her toys.......I have got to take her to the vets on Wednesday for her second vaccination, it is one month from her first vac.

Marg.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Can I have some advice please?

Post by Kay »

In case she doesn't know there is downstairs, and as you will have her in a carrier for the vet, I'd let her out of it as far away from the stairs as possible to see if she goes up them immediately. If she does then you'll know she isn't ready yet to come down.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I'd leave her be, you'll stress her out more forcing her to do something she isn't comfortable with. Is the door to the bedroom open?
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Yes the bedroom door is open in the day, only close it when we go to bed. She sleeps on the bed next to me, she is very fussy, loves a tickle under her chin & behind her ears, but doesn't seem to like being picked up, although I did pick her up & showed her out of the window, she was very interested.

Marg.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

I'd leave it open at night, timid cats prefer to explore when it is dark and quiet. Most cats don't like being picked up. Sounds like she is doing well though
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B »

My thought is that she will explore when she is ready to and to try and make her will just cause her stress.

On the other hand you might find that putting treats out near the bedroom door to start with and then putting them a little further away every few days might encourage her to explore the upper floor and then they could be used to tempt her to explore down stairs. If you don't want to just leave treats on the floor then a pack of paper party plates can help.

I have to agree with Booktigger as well she might be happier exploring at night.

As for being picked up, she is better than one of mine, who after having her for two and a half years still won't let me pick her up, it took her weeks to not retreat to her cupboard every time we walked in the room.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

Congrats on your furry adoption :D

I'm another one agreeing with leaving the door open at night so she can explore then. Sounds like she's quite OK doing things at her pace