food quantities 11 month old siamese

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

food quantities 11 month old siamese

Post by charlie_rabbit01 »

Hiya

So my boy Denzel is almost 1year old and as I presume he's now nearly fully grown is there any advice on what/how much we should be feeding him?

Currently he has 24/7 supply of dry and a fresh wet up to 3 times a day though I estimate at least 1 sachets worth is wasted per day.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: food quantities 11 month old siamese

Post by meriad »

I'd probably keep with the dry food down 24/7 and start cutting down the wet food to twice a day only; one in the mornings and one at night if he eats them all in one go that is.

This time of year I struggle with wet food left in bowls and flies so I tend to feed 1/2 pouches at a time because it just seems to go off so much quicker with the warmer weather.

But take your clue from Denzel; run your hands over his back and sides every so often (not all the time) and check that you can just feel his spine and ribs. They shouldn't stick out obviously but it's a good indicator of ideal body condition
canterbury-cats
Returning Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by canterbury-cats »

Hello
I have three siamese of my own and i can say that it really depends how active y our cat is really to how much food is given.. All miine go out all day and are kept in at night, they are at the moment hunting a lot, but they all have wet food at least once a day and good quality biscuits in bowls around the house all the time.. They come in and out to help themselves, none are overweight and all are fairly young (under 4yrs)... They are the more chunky old type siamese and thus are very big boned cats. Its very easy to overfed a indoor cat but i would say that three meals a day in summer is quite a lot for a siamese...

Have you tried Royal Canin Siamese 38 biscuits esp for Siamese? it might be a bit of a gimmick but all mine love it and a 10g bag last me at least 6m.. Its a large kibble biscuits and thus makes cats eat is slowly and helps their teeth.. Firm believer in buying good quality dry food if you are feeding supermarket or mid range wet food.. All mine get whatever is on offer and seem to have cast iron tums so not problems with that..
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

he's a real pain with food, he picks at it and some of breakfast I put down at 8am this morning will still be there when I pop home for my own lunch at 1:30.

He has waitrose kibble which is about 25% meat and as a treat he gets macdonalds (go-cat), he gets bored easily of his wet food so we try to mix up brands and every so often I treat him to hi-life tempt me or similar.

We are very limited on what we can buy him and though I can shop online I try not to as i'm never home to accept it and work get a bit grumpy sometimes about parcels being delivered here.

I'm not sure if he's modern or old style:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/henryjk/12731863315/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by oggers86 »

Have you tried picking up the dry and switching him onto meal times? It has a tendency to make them less fussy as they are hungry when food is offered.

I suspect when Elsworth is fully grown he will eat around 300-400g high meat content food (Macs, Ropocat, Animonda Carny and Smilla) because he is almost eating 300g at the minute.

Denzel looks more old style, Elsworth seems more pointy.
Attachments
Elsworth1.jpg
(177.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

He's very switched on to routine, he knows when breakfast and dinner time is, when i'm due home, the fact that when he comes in from outside he sits on the stool (aka "the begging stool") to have his collar taken off and receive dentabits.

Denzel eats about 2.5 85g sachets a day plus dry food which I don't check I just top it up a bit in the evening.

He's very lazy and will easily sleep in till gone 10am so I think he checks breakfast is there then goes to bed when we leave for work.

I hadn't considered taking up the dry food, he has a habit of eating little and often rather than scoffing it all down in one go.

I thought he might be and looking at your very gorgeous kitty Elsworth he must be as he's not a pointy as yours.

Oh and I meant to say he's mostly indoors, he goes out for a couple of hours on a dry evening and he's in and out at the weekend, but he never goes far and after a couple of hours he comes in for a nap.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by oggers86 »

charlie_rabbit01 wrote:
I hadn't considered taking up the dry food, he has a habit of eating little and often rather than scoffing it all down in one go.

I thought he might be and looking at your very gorgeous kitty Elsworth he must be as he's not a pointy as yours.
Elsworth came to be as a nibbler when he was used to having dry food down all the time but I am not a fan of dry food as I am very cautious of urinary blockages especially in boys. He now tends to finish his meal in one go, I feed him little and often at the minute but in the next few months I want to set up a routine for him and the others so that they get their meals at x time each day.

I would say Elsworth is modern but not extreme. There are some very extreme types with ears that are almost horizontal. When looking for a Siamese I didnt want one that was too pointy but equally not one that was too much of an applehead. I think at the beginning Elsworth would have been too pointy for me but the modern style grew on me :)
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

If this link works it shows a very good comparison between a modern siamese and an old style. The head of the more traditional cat is often described as "apple-shaped". Back in my youth, about 20 eons ago, I had a traditional chocolate point cat who I had mated to a modern blue point male and her litter contained only one chocolate point, a traditional male and four blue points - three modern females and a male traditional. I am very fond of all siamese of all shapes and sizes, but the moderns are very elegant, aren't they?

http://www.lasjoyasthai-siamcats.de/ima ... milla1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

its quite hard to tell he's sort of in the middle.

We've cut down to 2 pouches and he's upped the screaming! but he is eating everything by the time the next meal time comes round, I've not noticed his kibble intake increasing either.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by oggers86 »

Denzel would probably be classed as Classic thinking about it. A lot of the Meezers at shows are modern - extreme.

Will your new baby be just like him? I would love another one so Elsworth would have a playmate but it is unlikely. I would happily have a house full of them although it could be a bit loud! They have completely won me over and I can't imagine never having at least one.
Hazel
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hazel »

Hello, just thought I'd add what Mika eats to the thread - he has the best part of a wet sachet morning & early evening (he's supposed to share with Jess but Jess usually just licks the gravy off his half and Mika eats up the chunks). He also usually gets a small bowl of Butchers classic later in the evening, any left of that in the morning goes out for our feral/garden cat.
He has the Royal Canin Siamese dry food down all the time and quite often eats that. Again I also think it's gimmick-y BUT it was the only food our previous Siamese didn't scoff down & vomit up again so we stuck with it.

Mika is very active and we do think he is a little too skinny but we're keeping an eye on him and suspect he's just a more slight build than our Max was. He is an "Old Style" Siamese, he's quite slender, elegant and pointed compared to our moggie Jess but nothing like the show-style (modern?) ones. I have to say I think they look absolutely awful, like gremlins with their ears are on the sides of their heads :(
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by oggers86 »

Hazel wrote:Hello, just thought I'd add what Mika eats to the thread - he has the best part of a wet sachet morning & early evening (he's supposed to share with Jess but Jess usually just licks the gravy off his half and Mika eats up the chunks). He also usually gets a small bowl of Butchers classic later in the evening, any left of that in the morning goes out for our feral/garden cat.
He has the Royal Canin Siamese dry food down all the time and quite often eats that. Again I also think it's gimmick-y BUT it was the only food our previous Siamese didn't scoff down & vomit up again so we stuck with it.

Mika is very active and we do think he is a little too skinny but we're keeping an eye on him and suspect he's just a more slight build than our Max was. He is an "Old Style" Siamese, he's quite slender, elegant and pointed compared to our moggie Jess but nothing like the show-style (modern?) ones. I have to say I think they look absolutely awful, like gremlins with their ears are on the sides of their heads :(
Some of them are awful aren't they! I know we shouldn't be horrible but I honestly don't see how it can be healthy having ears on the side of their head. I think I read somewhere that the horizontal ears are achieved through inbreeding and it can cause health related problems.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

When he was a few months old we had problems with him eating too fast but not for at least 6 months.

He does however eat the high meat wet food so fast that when he sits on my lap after he burps! Not very regal.

So classic would be old style?

I love the style of Siamese. Did you see the secret life of cats? I knew a bit about Siamese but not how they got their colouring.

Our new baby would have the same parents but probably a different colour.

I'd love a flame point but her litters tend to be seal, chocolate, chocolate tabby or lilac.

Denzel is staying with my mother in law and her senior b&w cat who eats all his wet in one go. I hope it teaches Denzel a lesson else he'll go hungry.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by oggers86 »

charlie_rabbit01 wrote:When he was a few months old we had problems with him eating too fast but not for at least 6 months.

He does however eat the high meat wet food so fast that when he sits on my lap after he burps! Not very regal.

So classic would be old style?

I love the style of Siamese. Did you see the secret life of cats? I knew a bit about Siamese but not how they got their colouring.

Our new baby would have the same parents but probably a different colour.

I'd love a flame point but her litters tend to be seal, chocolate, chocolate tabby or lilac.

Denzel is staying with my mother in law and her senior b&w cat who eats all his wet in one go. I hope it teaches Denzel a lesson else he'll go hungry.
I am not really sure if old style is classic or apple head.

Do you think Denzel will take to another cat easily? I am not allowed a 4th but I would love a friend for Elsworth, he wants to be friends with the other two but they are not having it :-(
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

oggers86 wrote:
I am not really sure if old style is classic or apple head.

Do you think Denzel will take to another cat easily? I am not allowed a 4th but I would love a friend for Elsworth, he wants to be friends with the other two but they are not having it :-(
With moggies he's a bit of a pain, he gets on their nerves being constantly in their face and energetic, Denzel loves winding up other cats and they all look at him bored.

I'm hoping that if its another Siamese they'll annoy each other equally and then give up, but that might be wishful thinking.
oggers86
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by oggers86 »

charlie_rabbit01 wrote:
With moggies he's a bit of a pain, he gets on their nerves being constantly in their face and energetic, Denzel loves winding up other cats and they all look at him bored.

I'm hoping that if its another Siamese they'll annoy each other equally and then give up, but that might be wishful thinking.
Sounds familiar, Elsworth is getting better but sometimes he just cant help himself and chases the others much to their annoyance. I am sure another Siamese would help give the others some peace but I would worry that the new Siamese would also want to play chase with the mogs.

How many cats do you have? I am sure another Siamese will be a perfect match for him.
charlie_rabbit01
VIP Cat Chatter!

oggers86 wrote: Sounds familiar, Elsworth is getting better but sometimes he just cant help himself and chases the others much to their annoyance. I am sure another Siamese would help give the others some peace but I would worry that the new Siamese would also want to play chase with the mogs.

How many cats do you have? I am sure another Siamese will be a perfect match for him.

He often sits their waving his paw leaning back and as soon as the moggy moves he either flops on his side/back or runs off, then comes back and carries on.

We only have the one.

But we're waiting for him to be tested for FIV so a second cat is on hold at the moment.