Domestic & Ferals

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
jackie1
New Cat Chatter

Domestic & Ferals

Post by jackie1 »

Ok so i have six cats at home all rescued ferals from kittens, all tamed and live in my house, we have a problem at my place of work with ferals and whilst most have been spayed and neutered the are 5 that i feed and that trust me. This however has become a problem at work as they enter our unit and use it as a toilet, im thinking if i take the ferals home and house them outside in my garden in a shed so they can come go as they please would this work with my cats at home, or will there be a lot of fighting and grief. At home i have 3 males and 3 females. i just dont know what to do for the best.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Domestic & Ferals

Post by booktigger »

It's very hard relocating ferals, you need to be able to keep them somewhere secure for at least 6 weeks and even then there are no guarantees they will stay.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Re: Domestic & Ferals

Post by Sniper1 »

I have done what you suggest often with few problems as being a rescue but ideally you need a secure building with a run or at least windows for the cats to see out and live in for 4 to 6 weeks when releasing them keep your own cats in for a few days to allow the ferals to get their bearings in the area and cone and go unchallenged,yes sometimes they choose not to stick around or vanish flor a few days initially but a bonded group are much more likely to stick together while you have the cats contained if they don't have a run where your cats can see and smell them use litter trays left outside after the ferals have used them for your cats to smell and vice versa with trays/blankets your own cats have used put them in their shed,issues over territory/cat flaps and problems with can occur and it does help if your area is not too built up with larger gardens and tree cover but once settled I always manage the ferals outdoor access by using a 4 way cat flap on their pen... let them out in a morning give a small wet feed set the flap to entry only and leave dry food in the pen/run then when the cats return they enter using the flap but cannot leave and I repeated this early evening that way they get freedom but not total freedom and are less likely to be a nuisance to others good luck and any questions please ask