New cat in the neighbourhood

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Amyracecar
New Cat Chatter

New cat in the neighbourhood

Post by Amyracecar »

About a week and a half ago I started hearing a cat making a yowling noise sometimes when I was in the back yard. I was a bit concerned it was hurt but could never see it. Then on Thursday I saw one of my cats having a stare-off with a ginger cat, who then started to make the yowling noise. Mystery solved and the cat didn't appear hurt.

However tonight the cat has tried to get in through the cat flap once while we were up and did get in once we had gone to bed. (Cats are now shut in for the night).

Any ideas on why it's yowling? I was thinking mating but both my cats have been done. And any ideas on how to discourage it coming in our cat flap?

I'm going to start making enquires about who owns it tomorrow.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: New cat in the neighbourhood

Post by Kay »

I suspect the yowling is directed at your cats, and not in a friendly way
chloekitty
New Cat Chatter

Post by chloekitty »

Kay wrote:I suspect the yowling is directed at your cats, and not in a friendly way
This. I would suggest that a power-struggle is taking place and the new cat is trying to establish its territory.
Lyn from Australia
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 9

Post by Lyn from Australia »

It could very well be territorial, but my first thought was lost, hungry and scared - my Lily makes a yowling noise when she's scared.