Weaning off felux kitten

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Nicb
New Cat Chatter

Weaning off felux kitten

Post by Nicb »

Sorry if this has been asked before. My cats are hooked on felix kitten jelly. They are not far off two and I'd really like to get them onto an adult food and ideally something better quality or at least an adult cat food. Can anyone suggest a jelly food which they've successfully weaned their cats onto from felix kitten ? I've tried adult felix, as-good-as-it-looks felix, whiskas, tesco jelly., Sainsburys jelly. Any suggestions ?
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Weaning off felux kitten

Post by fjm »

Have you tried mixing a very small amount of the new food into the kitten food (say half a teaspoonful), and increasing the proportion very gradually? I would choose something you will be happy to feed long term if they dislike change so much!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Good answer. I would also say to take advantage of the shops who sell individual sachets/packets, as there is nothing worse that boxes of food with just one sachet missing! :roll:
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

I've never fed Felix kitten, but am wondering if the lumps in it are smaller than the adult version - as quite a lot of cats, mine included, don't like lumps, this could be the problem

you could try mashing down the lumps in the adult food when following fjm's excellent advice

if big lumps do turn out to be the problem, they might well like Gourmet Gold pate - most cats do
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

As others have mentioned, gradually introduce the new food with the old food, increasing it slowly. Try not to stick to one brand. I read all the advice on here about cat food and decided not to stick to a certain brand as I didn't want a fussy cat. He is fussy but he still eats it :lol: :lol: He definitely has a preference for whiskas! I give him , felix, whiskas, butchers best, gourmet, webbox... basically anything :)
Nicb
New Cat Chatter

Post by Nicb »

Thanks, will try your suggestions.