Elderly cat insurance opinions

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Elderly cat insurance opinions

Post by melshop »

My 15 year old cat Tabby has been with "morethan" for many years for his pet insurance, and I have only had to claim once, last year he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. He had lots of tests, a scan of his tummy, almost a full MOT, and now 6 months after his treatment started his latest blood test is great, all normal and is in great health. He just has to take 2 tablets every day for life.

The big problem is "morethan" have more than doubled the premium from, £65 to £135 a month from March 1st. I have a quote from Petplan on their essential plan which is around £25 a month, I am aware it wont cover his thyroid and the cover not as comprehensive, but as he is doing so well with treatment and all seems well, I dont feel that staying with "morethan" is viable at that cost. All his treatment this year probably came to £1600, about the same as the new insurance premium.

I would really appreciate any opinons on this, I have always done the best for my cats, and although I am 90% sure moving to pet plan is a good idea, it is worrying knowing his thyroid condition wont be covered, even though the vet is very happy with him.

Has anyone else had a similar situation?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Elderly cat insurance opinions

Post by Janey »

Hi, well I’ve only adopted older cats for many years but never used insurance so my reply may not be very helpful. What I have done, when I had 2 hyperthyroid cats on medication (which btw worked very well as it seems to be doing your own cat), and was quite costly, I got a prescription from my vets so the meds only cost about half the price elsewhere. I still had to take them for check-ups etc but it was still a big saving. Rather annoyingly my vet didn’t suggest it, as many don’t, but when I found out it was possible to get a prescription and queried it, didn’t refuse me.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

Hi and welcome ... umm, well, I'm afraid I too don't go in for insurance. Decades ago I heard a vet nurse say that if an owner saved what they were asked to pay out in insurance they'd be quids in ... I had 10 cats at the time and little money ... I now have 3 cats and some savings, which were called on last year because one of my lot was hyperthyroid too, and she would NOT be pilled. Hid under the bed all day. But I'd already decided on the radio-iodine option and was lucky enough to afford it.

I think it's shameful that your present insurance company have doubled your payments, and that any costs re hyperthyroidism won't be covered by any alternative company. I second Janey's tip about buying POM meds online - they are cheaper.

I confess I'm prejudiced about any kind of insurance after being royally ripped off after being caught in the floods of 2007, as were a lot of people, and I'd sooner save for vet bills than pay pet insurance. But there are differing views; this is just my personal opinion.

Very glad he's responding so well to his meds by the way; all the best to the old chap :)
melshop
Frequent Cat Chatter

Post by melshop »

Yes, I wish i had put all the premiums in a bank account, it would been a very large sum of money by now.
We have decided to put the money we would have spent on insurance in a bank account for him, we are lucky in that we have savings and could pay in and emergency for treatment so no worries there.

Thanks for the tip on the medication :)