Butchers best

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Butchers best

Post by vanilla »

Has the recipe changed? I noticed that the new cans I bought seem to be runnier with more liquid and the last tin of the old one is more like a solid jelly. Anyone else noticed this? Or was it a bad batch. My cat didn't like eating the runnier version. So not sure whether to buy it anymore.
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Butchers best

Post by Lilith »

I've read that the recipe seems to have changed recently and doesn't seem as palatable to cats, but the runniness is nothing new; when I used to buy it a long while back I noticed it varied between runny and comparatively firm. But if they have changed the recipe for the worse, I shall be interested to know myself. Pity if they have - it's been a good brand.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

It seems to vary, I’ve had tins where the jelly is very runny, solid or inbetween. I’ve found most cats love all the jelly, but the consistency can differ.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ah, that might explain it! The last batch I bought had quite a few 'sloppy' tins. None of the cats liked them which is unusual because they all like jelly and gravy :? They smelled funny too.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

jelly is I think a bit of a con though on the manufacturer's part - they know cats like it but it has little or no nutritional value

I have been feeding my outdoor cats on Animonda Carne, which is very solid and has almost no jelly, and the daily amount for a 5kg cat is less than 300gms, which is rather telling, I think

Bozita in tins also is solid meat , unlike the tetra packs, which have a lot of jelly, and the tins are cheaper

which makes me think the whole pouch thing is something of a rip-off
vanilla
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by vanilla »

That seems to be the case. Less meat in tin and now almost a quarter of it is jelly! :x Why do these manufacturers mess about with these things!? I don't mind paying a bit more if they stick to the same quality. Now I have to look elsewhere!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

I have tried 'solid meat' tins. Mine just spread it all around the bowl looking for the gravy/jelly then leave it to go hard and stick like concrete to everything.

With Butchers I would spoon some into a bowl and mash it with a fork. It worked very well - little waste.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

I always mash up the solid meat too, and add a fair bit of water to the mix so it's soft and moist

I have been adding even more water than usual for the outdoor cats as it's been impossible to stop their water bowl freezing solid