Cat milk?

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Cat milk?

Post by filardimarg-9 »

What are your opinions on the cat milk that you can buy please??
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!

Re: Cat milk?

Post by alanc »

I've tried several on Tilly over the years - she has not been fussed about any of them.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Mixed results, but remember it is a food not a drink so should be used as a treat to avoid putting too much weight on
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay »

an absolute godsend for me, because Tiffany won't touch it so I can use it to dissolve Tosker's daily dose of Bisolven in it , and he always drinks it over a 24 hour period

I buy Tesco's own brand - I have only tried PAH's own brand as well, and he didn't seem to like it at all
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith »

My naughty lot don't drink milk unless it's Jersey Royal or evaporated.

I hate milk, always have since the days when we were forced to drink it at school - the crate got left in the sun in summer and in front of the fire (yes this was the 50s) in winter and stewed till playtime, urrgh I remember the disgusting threads of rancid cream, still feel sick at the thought ... So I don't buy Jersey, cats can't drink it up in time.

I'm not sure what this 'cat milk' is all about, but I reckon a small tin of evaporated (NOT condensed) diluted with water, is ok (my first Siamese had it listed on her diet sheet.) It's also a very good laxative.

But as Booktigger says, it's a food, so has to be taken into account if you're watching cat calories. And I don't think it's essential, personally, but if they enjoy it, a little milk of any sort is a pleasant treat :)

Who was that member who posted a pic of the supermarket display stating that cat milk did not come from real cats? :lol:
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B »

As far as I understand it Cat Milk is some form of Lactose Free Milk as many cats are intolerant to lactose. I only bought it the once as while my Ragdoll, Blue, loved milk it really didn't like him, unfortunately whatever the Cat Milk is,it still didn't agree with him and he just threw it up the same as normal milk.

At the moment the one i have that loves dairy products is Saturn. I haven't tried him on Cat Milk as he is more than happy to just lick a cream spoon when ever offered, and as we have hot chocolate most evenings, made with cream, he gets his treat most days.

One thing to remember is that the more skimmed milk is the higher the lactose content, I learnt this being a diabetic and a member of a diabetic forum. Lactose can send some people's blood sugar sky high, you use skimmed milk thinking it is the healthy option, only then to find out that for you it isn't, cream is actually better. I think the same must go for cats, the small amount of lactose left in cream can be tolerated by some cats, so that might be a cheaper alternative to cat milk.

I will add that some cats can tolerate lactose no problem, we had one while I was a child that loved milk, long before the idea of cat milk came about. If cows milk doesn't make a cat sick or give them the runs then it isn't likely to do them much harm either, they just can't digest it properly and gain very little nutritional benefit from it.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

I’ve bought cat milk for mine in the past, usually the elderly cats who have been skinny to help weight gain. It was also useful for one of my oldies (in her 20’s) who couldn’t have another dental and had to take antibiotics occasionally, so I broke the capsule and added it. I have found that some like it some don’t. My current cat loves a saucer of milk most mornings, she won’t drink cat milk, normal full fat or skimmed milk, it has to be lactose free - which I prefer anyway. She’s quite petite and along with her food and biscuits, keeps her a good weight.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

I find they prefer cat milk watered down some of mine love normal milk but won't touch cat milk unless its watered down its good for getting extra liquid into them
MarySkater
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by MarySkater »

Lilith wrote:Who was that member who posted a pic of the supermarket display stating that cat milk did not come from real cats? :lol:
cat milk 2.jpg
Of my two, middle-aged Rocky likes cat milk (Whiskas or Morrisons brand). I give him some once or twice a week. He doesn't guzzle it all at once, but grazes it (if that's the right word for a liquid). Young Ria isn't interested at all.

Both of them love cheese (full-flavour Cheddar, which I buy for myself). I've heard different opinions about whether cheese is good for cats, so I keep the quantity small and don't feed it every day, but what they've had doesn't appear to have done any harm.
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Thanks for the replies...........I might try 1 bottle to see what Bella thinks of it.
TabbyCat_
New Cat Chatter

Post by TabbyCat_ »

My cats never liked any cat milk I tried!
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

Well I bought a bottle of the cat milk, she wouldn't touch it.

Marg.