Neighbour complaint about my noisy cat

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Gloopy
New Cat Chatter

Neighbour complaint about my noisy cat

Post by Gloopy »

My first post so be kind.
Where do I stand legally? I have a little cat who is on her own now, following the death of her two children, who were 10 and 11 year old. They died three weeks ago, approx. Siamese. Mum who is old has started going out in a cat run to get some fresh air, I put this run up last weekend. Mum is very vocal but I can't let her roam as she is exhibiting search behaviour for her dead children as well as vocalising and I'm scared she will get onto the road. She is in run during day and in house from about 6pm until 11 the next morning. It's early days for her. She is old and will find it hard to adapt now.
Mad, ranting neighbour started screaming over the fence at the meowing noise, then ten minutes later came and rung my doorbell ranting, accusing me of animal cruelty by keeping my cat in a cage (20 foot run with shed and heat pad). Once I'd sent her on her way as she was making me shake, didn't even know the cat was making a noise that was an issue to her until then, she then sent another neighbour over to "check on cats welfare" but he was adamant that he was not complaining. He even shook my hand.
I've now fallen out with her over this. My guess is she won't let let this go, but luckily her house is on the market. She has also complained to her neighbours on the other side about their dog and they'd only been living there a day, having just moved in. Any advice? My guess is she will call the RSPCA now and report me to the council for noise nuisance.
So, what do I do? cat can't really have full roam of house as hubby is allergic so I'm further restricted and the chalet seemed the answer to everything .....
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Neighbour complaint about my noisy cat

Post by fjm »

I would pre-empt her possible complaint - contact Environmental Health at your local council and ask for their advice. They probably already know her, if she is prone to complaining! Anyone whose first reaction is to attack can be very difficult to manage, but If there is anything you can do to placate her, I would do it, simply because being at outs with a neighbour is so unpleasant. Having experienced non-stop Siamese yowling myself it can be a somewhat piercing noise - is there anything you can do to distract your cat while she is outside? Or perhaps put her out for shorter periods until she is more used to the run?
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. So sorry to hear about the two younger relatives, what happened to them? it must be devastating for your current cat as well. Have you only just got the cats? Has your cat never gone out before. I think going out is a good thing, but the reason I ask is I wonder if the loss of the cats and the change in going out as well is all upsetting her. I’ve never had siamese but have heard how vocal they can be, and if the dog at the other side is yapping all hours as well I can understand your neighbour getting stressed. As fjm says it is better, if possible, to try and talk to the neighbour without rowing, although I know that’s not always how it works.
Gloopy
New Cat Chatter

Post by Gloopy »

All three cats lived in my stables as stable cats the last five years, after I moved house to a more rural area. Prior to that, they went between my home and a garden run as were breeding queens.
The other two died of Kidney problems. Coincidence that it was close together. There are lots of compromises I can make and have a good think about it now I know the situation. I didn’t know before it was an issue to her, until her screaming like a banshee over the fence, ten minutes later knocking on my front door and screaming and then five minutes later after that, getting another neighbour to come around.

Just wanting to know what the procedure legally was. I see lots of stuff about loud music and dogs barking, not cats meowing. She is neutered, so not calling, btw. And the new neighbours with the dog hadn’t been in the house for twelve hours even, before she went around there.
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I think legally it would be similar to a barking dog, but far better to try to resolve things reasonably amicably if possible. Perhaps the second neighbour can act as an honest broker, including gently pointing out that any disputes raised with the Council are likely to be seen by prospective house purchasers... If you previously coped with three calling Siamese queens I imagine you are well used to mitigating the impact of noise!
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Sorry to hear this - I foster cats and a couple of years ago had a neighbour complain to Environmental Health, when I rang them they said that they don't do anything about noise from cats - I was fostering kittens at the time, she couldn't work out how kittens could make enough noise to complain about!! Not sure if all councils are the same though.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Noise nuisance issues I believe are usually assessed from indoors as thàt is where it would have most impact on someone's life I doubt even a Siamese that is outdoors and a distance away would produce noise enough to disturb you neighbour inside their house and have enough impact for any council to consider legal action