And then there were 7 .........

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: And then there were 7 .........

Post by Crewella »

She's doing OK - she has good days and bad days, which I think is to be expected. Some days, she comes straight out when I go in, some days she hides. I noticed when I go in before work she hides more, might be something as simple as her not liking me smelling of fresh perfume!

Peaches did much the same pattern, huge steps forwards and then a few weeks of slowly 'bedding in' the new responses until they become habitual. Now I know she can do it, and I know she likes a fuss, I've taken the pressure off and I'm letting her do things in her own time.

She met Basil a couple of days ago, he barged into her room after me. She was fine and came out to say hello. Basil, however, looked horrified, turned round very, very slowly and scarpered! He usually sleeps on the landing, just outside her door, so I know they're aware of each other.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

All sounds good Helen. I suspect that the slightest thing that is a bit different is going to challenge her confidence. They are so sensitive to smells aren't they. I thought her reaction to Basil was very interesting. Especially when you said that he'd barged into the room after you. I expected her to be the one who was horrified! Had to smile at Basil's scarpering off. Poor lad. Maybe she totally surprised him by coming up to him. He might have wanted to be the one to do the investigating and she stole his thunder :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I asked the lady at the rescue, who's had her in a pen since last year - she said Teasel wasn't fazed by other cats there either. Apparently it's just people she's not keen on! :)
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

She's slowly getting there isn't she :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Indeed she is! :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 020559.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Lovely picture Helen. She's one brave little girl. And very pretty too!!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Now I get to see her properly I've realised how pretty she is - she's lovely! Huge eyes!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 020558.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

She's a gorgeous girl, and she's looking so relaxed! x
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Lovely stripey girl! Great that she's cat friendly. That's something we can't control. Getting her used to humans is something you can help her with.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

My Noodley has similar big saucer eyes, she's the same colour tabby but with no white :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Well, if she turns out anything like Officer Noodle, she'll be doing fine! Fusses to Noodley. :)

Teasel is coming along nicely, still good days and bad days, but she comes out to greet me more often, eats in front of me, and this morning had a good wander round me as I sat (very still) in the middle of the room. A couple of times this week she's been lying in a patch of sunlight in the middle of the room and just let me quietly approach and stroke her. You can still see a flicker of hesitation on her face as your hand goes near her, or moves away, but she's very much more relaxed. :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

She sounds like she's making good steady progress. What a lovely girl she is. It seems like she obviously wants to be stroked and fussed but just a little scared still. Love the photo of her. She is a very pretty girl. Well done Helen. I look forward to these updates :)
Walesgang
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Walesgang »

She is a stunner!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

She's abandoned the back of the chest of drawers altogether, and this week has also lost interest in the carrier I'd left in there for her - her preferred retreat is now under the couch. That's a great step forwards as the couch is a chaise longue type thing with long legs and it's easy to reach under and stroke her.

She's obviously aware of this, because she'll often come out to say hello and then quickly retire to the safety of under the couch ...... but as soon as she gets under there she goes all blinky-eyed and inviting, rolls on her side, waves her paws at me and then pulls herself along the carpet towards my hand for a fuss. She just needs that bit of 'cover' still to give her confidence a boost.
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen that sounds very promising. She isn't afraid of having a fuss made of her, she just wants it on her terms. You're doing so well with her. Give her a big fuss from me next time you go into see her.
Baggypants
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Baggypants »

Oh Teasle sounds lovely. My Elsie does that "roll-over drag herself along the floor" thing for a tummy rub too - I always ask her if her legs have gone all weak or if she's fainted!! She normally starts dribbling on me in ectasy then :P
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

:D I shall ask young Teasel the same next time she does it! :lol:

We now also have a little black foster cat in the outdoor pen. She was left behind when her owners moved and the kind neighbours have been feeding her for weeks, but they are about to go on holiday so they thought it best to bring her in to the rescue.

In marked contrast to Teasel, this little girl had eaten her dinner, demanded a fuss, used her tray and settled down in her new bed within a couple of hours of arrival, having also sworn at Merrick and told him exactly what she thought of him when he came over to investigate. Then, somehow, she managed to present me with a dead mouse this morning when I took in her first breakfast!!

I hope she finds a lovely home soon, she deserves one. She's a very cool cookie and quite a little character! :)
hgale
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by hgale »

She's lovely, looks almost identical to my new boy Denver (except Denver doesn't have the white on his chest!)

Please give her a big fuss from me and Denver next time you can, and a fuss to little Blackie too, I hope she finds the home she deserves soon.

Helen and Denver
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

This is all good stuff!
Teasel is a very pretty cat and what lovely big eyes she has.
I have been following your progress with great interest and am so pleased for you both.
We call the 'blinky eyes' - 'Kitty Kisses'. When he first turned up in our garden Tom was very wary of us. We started to feed him, leaving the food down, then getting closer and closer, over a few days, until we reached the point where he didn't get his food until he allowed me to stroke his head. We knew we were winning with Tom, when he started giving us kitty kisses.
It is a great sign that she is trusting you enough to do that and to come to you for a fuss. Well done both of you.
Hugs to you for all your good work and fusses to Teasel for being a brave girl.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

That sounds like great progress, I'm sure in no time she won't be using the chaise as cover and will be brave enough for fusses in the open :)

Your foster girlie sounds gorgeous, keeping all paws crossed that she soon has a home x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Here's Coco the foster cat. See what I mean, she couldn't look more at home - she really has settled in extraordinarily quickly!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d154/ ... 020580.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Wow!!! She is gorgeous :) :)

That is one very relaxed and contented little girl!!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ooooh, another black cat and a very beautiful one at that! She looks as sharp as a tack, lovely. :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks guys. :)

Teasel is doing really well, I've found her sitting ON the chaise several times when I've gone in there, and in the last couple of days she's sometimes stayed on there and let me stroke her! :D

She's also started to show some interest in what lies beyond her door, so this evening I shut the internal doors downstairs and left her door open to see if she would come out and explore. She did come down briefly, but any movement from us sent her scuttling back upstairs again. What was nice was that, when I followed her up to her room, she came back out from under the chaise for a fuss straightaway - it was as though she wanted a bit of reassurance. That's the first time I've really felt that she might gain some comfort from contact with me - I was really proud of her! :D

Little Coco is also doing well, bless her.
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

Well done, Helen! I am inspired by your experience.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

She's obviously reached the "you'll do as my slave" stage :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Well done Helen. Teasel is definitely bonding well with you. It's so lovely that she came back out for a fuss after being a bit frightened. Good to hear Coco is doing well too.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Sadly, we are back down to 6 cats (and Coco the foster cat). Poor little Peaches was hit by a car and killed outright. Daz and I are in bits.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger »

Oh my god, I am so sorry to hear this. RIP Peaches
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Dearest Helen. I'm so very sorry. Can't see the screen through my tears. What a terrible shock. Thinking of you and Daz so much. Take comfort from each other and grieve together. Sending lots of hugs to you Xx