And then there were 7 .........

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Re: And then there were 7 .........

Post by Crewella »

No time like the present - I took Daz up with me just now with a few crunchies for him and for her.

He had a good sniff around, ate his (and her) biccies and peered at her under the chaise. She watched him as he wandered round the room, but didn't move. Neither of them made a sound, and eventually he wandered out again. Not a bad start. :)

Bythe way, glad to read on the senior food thread that HRH Fluffy is doing so much better. :)
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Thanks Helen. Yes the little girl is doing better in herself. Very vocal and demanding nowadays!

I've just had a giggle at Daz eating his and Teasel's biccies :D

He is such a character. For a first meeting I think that went pretty well. Daz's presence didn't seem to alarm Teasel and she didn't put Daz off in any way. Very positiive indeed!! Sign of good things to come maybe. I know I say this so often but I would just love to pick Daz up and really cuddle and squeeze him. I miss doing that with Harvey and HRH doesn't like being picked up. So will you pick Daz up and cuddle him for me? I'll have to make do with that :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Go Daz!!! and hopefully Teasel will soon come out of her shell even more
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by greenkitty »

I have a real soft spot for Daz, he's awesome :)

Please pass on a fuss from me x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

P1020916.JPG
P1020916.JPG (109.77 KiB) Viewed 5381 times
It's an awful pic, I'm afraid, but one cuddle and fusses passed on as requested! :D
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Awwww!! He's adorable :) Thanks Helen.
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Awwww x
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Always a pleasure to give Daz a cuddle. :)

Teasel has been quite subdued over the last couple of days. She didn't come out to say hello at all yesterday, though she did come out for a fuss this morning. I think it might be because I took her carrier out of the room to use it to take Coco to the vets - as she doesn't use it anymore I didn't think she'd miss it, but it seems that the slightest change worries her.

I think (I hope) that I'm beginning to understand her a little bit better - she's almost the polar opposite to what Peaches was like. However wary Peaches was, she was a confident cat by nature - even when trying to avoid me in the beginning, she didn't hide all that much, just moved to the other side of the room. The slightest thing upsets Teasel and send her scurrying for cover, often to stay there for the rest of the day. She will come out for a fuss, but is much more relaxed about it if you stroke her under cover or in a corner, whereas Peaches (when she finally got the hang of fusses) was happier coming up to you in the middle of the room, and would feel cornered or trapped if you tried to stroke her in a small space.

Teasel was probably also unnerved by my taking Daz in there yesterday, but (unless I see a real problem) I will keep taking him up to see her. I've not met a cat as timid as she is before, but she does get used to things, it just takes her a while - I have to remember just how far she's come since she arrived!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

He is really enjoying that fuss! Lovely boy. Thanks for sharing this pic. :)
MarkB
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by MarkB »

I'm jealous Helen - I would love to have a cuddle with Daz. I have a real soft spot for white & blacks after Clapton (sorry, it was the first one I could find, taken a couple of hours after a major dental when he should have been inside! :) )
Attachments
clappond.jpg
clappond.jpg (31.41 KiB) Viewed 5344 times
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

That's a lovely pic - I love those big white paws, they look rather familiar! :)
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by meriad »

Helen, do you have a large dog crate? Just wondering if it would make sense to bring Teasel somewhere, where there is a bit more human / cat traffic so she can get used to more noises.

Remember Misty (I think it was) the stunning black kitten from the old forum - how much she changed (for the better) once she was crated in the lounge
SarahT1 [PLLE]
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by SarahT1 [PLLE] »

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightweight-Fab ... arrier+bag" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We have one of these, Helen, which is not only good for transporting two cats at once, but can be used for integration. You've probably got a crate already after Basil's incarceration, but this is a really useful option.

I remember little Misty's story. I wonder how she is getting on. I often think of some of the cats from the old forum and would love to updates.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Ria, and Sarah, I remember the delectable Misty well.

That might well be a good idea, but just as I was considering it I realised the timing's not right at the moment. We are about to have builders working downstairs in a couple of weeks, opening up a chimney and installing a stove amongst other things. Apart from the fact that we will have to move stuff about and pile all the furniture down one end, I think that would be a bit too much of a baptism of fire for Teasel's introduction to household noises!

With Misty I remember there was a sense of urgency as she was still a kitten. Teasel's a couple of years old, so I don't suppose it will matter if I do it now or in a few weeks time, I'll see what she's like when the dust has settled and make a decision then. In the unlikely event that someone comes forward to rehome her in the meantime, I will mention that using a crate might be helpful.

I have to confess that part of me is quite relieved we can't do it now. Knowing that she's been in a small, quite dark, pen since last year it's been lovely to see her start to enjoy the relative freedom of the spare room. In the last couple of weeks I've gone in to find her lying in a patch of sunlight in the middle of the room, or sitting on the back of the chaise looking out of the window, and once or twice recently she's been so comfy that she's not even run for cover as I've gone in. The less practical side of me is glad she'll get to enjoy a bit more of that for now.

Thanks again for the suggestion, I really appreciate the input! :)
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

I like the phrase about waiting until the dust settles. A couple of years ago we re-built the fireplace and put in a wood burner ourselves. Even with the room sealed, (dust masks and goggles on) and a garden sprayer full of water to hand - the dust was STILL settling 2 weeks later! :roll: I think your remark is going to prove quite prophetic! I suggest stocking up on Feliway and Brandy! :lol:

Wishing you much love and the very best of luck!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Oh joy. Thanks ...... I think ...... :P

xx
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

Helen the building work sounds exciting. Will you post some pics when it's finished? Would love to see what the stove looks like. Yes it's best to wait til all that is done and dusted (sorry couldn't resist) :)

Teasel is fine for now in her place of safety and enjoying a little bit of sunshine. She's come such a long way. Give her a gentle tickle from me next time you go in to see her.
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks, will do. :)

I've had a revelation. I've found Teasel quite confusing - sometimes I go in there and she's happy to be fussed, and sometimes I go to stroke her and she backs away (she used to hiss sometimes too). I've had lots of theories, but today she backed away when I tried to stroke her head, then OH mentioned that she'd done the same to him and it reminded him of our old Spook. Spook was very much my cat (she passed a couple of years ago aged 18), I was her security and her 'safe place', and she would let me do pretty much anything to her. However, she really, really hated the smell of soap, especially lavender (which I love) and would limbo out from under my hand if I'd just washed it and stalk off with a look of disgust.

That rang a bell, so today I've noted Teasel's reaction to going in there with newly-washed hands, and without, and sure enough she's pulled away every time I've gone in smelling of soap!
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

I can't tell you the difference that recognising Teasel's aversion to the smell of soap has made! I could never understand why she'd sometimes lean into my hand for a fuss, and then another time I'd go in and she'd look at my hand in horror and back away. I'd been suspecting all sorts of trust issues, when it really was as simple as she 'didn't like my aftershave'! :D

I could kick myself for taking so long to suss it, I'd already noticed that she didn't like it when I went in before work with fresh perfume on, but never mind - I got there in the end! It probably doesn't make all that much difference to her, but it's made a world of difference to me and the way I view her - her behaviour now looks entirely consistent and I can see, clearly, the progress she's made. She's not so much of a scaredy-cat, she's a soap-dodger! :D
Jacks
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 7

Post by Jacks »

Aha! Well spotted! Some of mine don't like handcream, especially Vit E cream - it will even put Lara off snuggling at night. Sophie is fascinated with the smell of Deep Heat; Jessie will run a mile at the faintest whiff...
HRHFluffy
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by HRHFluffy »

I'm glad you found out why she's been so inconsistent. Who'd have thought it was as simple as that!

Onwards and upwards now for the lovely Teasel :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

The house still seems a bit too quiet without Peaches, especialy at meal time as she used to wail her head off when food was on its way, and Basil (the other wailer) is less vocal now that he has no competition. However, they have all now got used to the slightly altered feeding routine, and the slower eaters probably appreciate not having her eyes boring into them as they finish (Peaches always finished first).

Daz is OK, but is obviously missing his playmate as he's started to chase poor old Grumpy Nellie again. Several times over the weekend I heard a stampede followed by Nellie's swearing at him (you can't miss it, she sounds like an old tramp coughing up phlegm), and Daz now has a big scratch on his nose. I feel for both of them, Nellie has taken refuge on the window sill, and I'm having to let her in and out of the window so she doesn't have to pass him, and Daz is back to being 'Billy no mates' as Minnie and Merrick tell him where to get off if he tries to chase them as well. At least Basil doesn't mind him, but Basil doesn't play 'chase'..

Except ..... last night I heard a stampede through the living room and I got up to intervene ....... only to find that the two faces looking up at me were Daz and Basil ..... before Basil set off at high speed back into the dining room again with Daz in hot pursuit! As Basil had been an only cat for 9 years, I don't think he had much of an idea what playing 'chase' was all about, but he definitely seems to have got the hang of it now because at one point he was chasing Daz back!

I'm also still hoping that Teasel will befriend Daz, she still hasn't come out to meet him when I've taken him up there, but there have been no bad reactions. I've been leaving her door open in the evenings (when most of the others are out) and over the last couple of nights she has come downstairs and had a good sniff around, so she's obviously feeling more confident.

Fingers crossed - I'm really hoping that, between them, Basil and Teasel can keep Daz occupied and take the heat off poor old Nellie!
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by bobbys girl »

Helen, that sound like an average day in our household! I think my job falls somewhere between, Housekeeper, Chef and Ring Master!

The boys, Thomas and Bobby are easy enough. Thomas is so laid-back he's almost horizontal and Bob is a joy to be with. The girls... Purdy, Boss Cat, frighteningly good hunter, TV addict (golf, wildlife programmes and The Simpsons) and Daddies Girl. God help any cat siting on daddies knee when Purdy comes into the room. Willow, Princess Tippy Toes meets Lady Bracknell - 'a Handbag!' She has a knack of making you want to tug your forelock and say 'yes Marm, right away Marm'. Gracie, aka 'Pickle Puss', capable of the sourest expression you will see on a feline face. Fond of chasing and tormenting the others- hates it when the tables are turned.

We sometimes have the situation where cats are appearing at several windows, wanting to come in. The back door is open but grace is sitting on the doorstep waiting to whack anyone who tries to pass her. :roll:

I would love to have seen Basil chasing Daz. I bet that really surprised Daz! :D

It is also really good to hear that Teasel is gaining confidence and exploring the house more.

I have to go Purdy is Knocking at the back door...
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Sounds like a normal day in my house too!! The Tig takes so much pleasure in chasing Officer Noodle, it's his passion in life but unfortunately not Noodle's, she lets him know in no uncertain terms she is not amused, unfortunately it falls on deaf ears - literally as Tig is deaf!!!

Pleased you found out about the soap, I'm a hand cream addict, they don't seem to mind the herby smelling creams but dislike the highly perfumed brands and will give me a wide berth... Great that she's coming downstairs a bit now, I'm sure she'll keep gaining in confidence and getting braver :)
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

So far so good - Daz and Basil do seem to be spending more time together, and have both got quite playful together. Grumpy Nellie is heaving a sigh of relief!

My OH has developed a soft spot for Coco, the little foster in the outside pen. He asked me today why she couldn't come inside and I had to convince him that she'll have a heat pad for when it gets colder and that she has plenty of shelter out there and she's fine, especially since I moved her upholstered chair in there - she loves that!

It did get me thinking, though. 'Probably-Permanent-Foster-Teasel' has hit a bit of a plateau - she will accept a fuss but is still quite withdrawn. She will come out from under the chaise to see me sometimes, but mostly prefers to just stay put. As she's as ex-stray (she came into rescue with kittens last year) who's used to being outdoors but has been in a dark pen and a small spare bedroom ever since, I wondered if she might benefit from a couple of weeks in the outdoor pen. It would give her a chance to meet the rest of the gang, as they never go upstairs and she rarely comes down, and there's plenty to watch with all the birds in the garden and cows and dog walkers just over the fence. Or might I be jeopardising the progress we've made already ....... I don't want to pressure her or rush her - I really am perfectly happy to wait until she comes around in her own good time.

I wondered what you guys thought, if you don't mind my asking?
greenkitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by greenkitty »

Maybe she'd be better with a semi-feral type arrangement? Do you have outbuildings/shed/garage she could have beds etc in? Perhaps you could transition her into the pen and then onto free range after a couple of weeks? The indoor confinement might be too much for her, if she sees and then interacts with the other gang members outside perhaps she'll realise all is ok?
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

Thanks Julia, I was thinking along those lines too. I think I might give her a try in the outdoor pen.

Of course, since I typed this, Teasel has squeaked and come running over to see me every time I've gone in there ....... :D
Crewella
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Crewella »

OMG, Coco is getting a visitor tomorrow, with a view to offering her a home! :D

Positive vibes would be appreciated - if this works out (and they manage to prise her out of my grip), not only would it be wonderful for Coco, but it would be my first successful foster!