Neighbours complaining.

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Amanda93
New Cat Chatter

Neighbours complaining.

Post by Amanda93 »

Hey, just looking for some advice. My neighbour two doors down has knocked on the door twice within the last week complaining that one of our cats is going in his garden pooping and digging up his “plants”. My cats are house cats but when it’s nice I let them out in the garden, they are house trained and use the human toilet. However hey have become more confident and have started jumping over the fence and exploring. Now my neighbour is telling me to keep them indoors but then they scratch at my carpets to go out. I explained that she’s a cat, they explore it’s not a teenager I can’t tell her off. I really don’t know what to do?! Help...
Thanks x
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Neighbours complaining.

Post by Ruth B »

it's a difficult one and, depending on the neighbour, there is always a worry that it will escalate from just complaints.

There are plants you can get that cats dislike the scent of (allegedly), it might be worth suggesting some of these to your neighbour and even offering to buy some to see if they help matter, at least they would be seeing you trying to help and not just ignoring the problem.

A plant mister or water pistol aimed at the back of the cat can also be a good deterrent, you just have to make sure they don't use something like a Supersoaker, and don't aim at the cat's head.

The only way to really solve the problem if nothing else works is to either build an enclosure or cat proof your garden to keep them with in it's boundaries. These are becoming far more common as they allow the cat the benefit of being outside with out being in danger from the traffic or some people.

Of course you could always ask if they are wanting to pay for all that extra organic fertilizer the cats are providing when they next come to complain, but that might not help matters much.
Janey
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Janey »

Hi and welcome. It is a bit of a difficult one but here’s a few suggestions. Cats love freshly dug earth so yep it’s trying to put them off that area, or encouraging them to poo elsewhere. Erecting chicken wire round the patch, or some sticks close together as cats lose interest if they’ve to keep tackling obstacles. Or one member once mentioned a spray called ‘Cat-a-pult’ from Homebase, they said it discourages cats and foxes and other animals or birds. They said they sprayed it on their lawn and haven’t had any poo since - so that might be worth a go. You could also try this site for other kinds of humane cat deterrents: http://www.deteracat.co.uk
Cat don’t like citrus peel smell so that can be used but it would need putting out often. The water spray Ruth mentioned might also help or catproofing your garden.
One thing you could do yourself is make a place in your own garden to encourage your cat to poo there instead, I have a couple of soft patches of soil and have noticed my ferals using those, and my own cat - who prefers to go outside, uses it occasionally, so that’s definitely worth a try. You could even mix in a bit of cat litter to encourage your cat there more.
Best of luck, let us know who you get on.
bobbys girl
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 5

Post by bobbys girl »

Ooh Ruth, you touched a nerve there! Speaking as a gardener, kitty poo is the last thing you would want as a fertilizer! A remark like that, even in jest could start WW3! :shock: :lol: :lol:

A friend of mine (not a cat lady!) dips small garden canes in neat Jeyes Fluid and pokes them in around the sort of plants cats like to roll on (basically anything soft! :roll: ) I have never seen a cat in her garden. It is not strong enough for humans to smell it, or harm a cat, just enough to get them to move on.

I did try it once and waved the cane tip in Purdy's direction. One sniff and if looks could kill I'd be a gonna.
Sniper1
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 18

Post by Sniper1 »

Some previous neighbours of mine used to put. one of their cats litter trays out in the corner of the patio whenever the cats were let out they had 3 who were mainly indoor but allowed out in nice weather when the owners were home and more often than not the cats returned to use the tray it may be worth a go if only to reduce the times your cats go elsewhere I would be sympathetic to the neighbour and apologise offer to pay for any damage and clean up any deposits but be sure they understand cats have the right to roam and just in the same way as wildlife can disrupt our gardens we all need to be tolerant and Learn to live alongside each other and the animals around us
fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by fjm »

I found apologies, suitable cleaning and deodourising sprays, replacement plants and a bottle of wine went a long way towards improving relationships when I had a similar problem!
filardimarg-9
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by filardimarg-9 »

I can tell you for certain that Jeyes Fluid works very well, I used to have a cat from up the road come into my garden to poo, she used to dig in my pots, a friend told me to soak used tea bags in Jeyes Fluid then put them round the pots, the cat hasn't been back since.

Marg.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Isn't that toxic to cats?