Coco and Chanel dilemma

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Re: Coco and Chanel dilemma

Post by Mayday21 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:34 am

Hi Booktigger have I missed something re your comment about their looks & putting them up for adoption. I thought from posts last year Coco & Chanel were with you for keeps. No doubt it’s me who’s confused. Vivian & The Famous Four from Oz.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:12 pm

Sorry Viv, was updating two forums and copied too much over! Messed up again yesterday morning, Lucy ran out of the room and got partway down the stairs before realising the girls were at the bottom. She ignored my plea to come back up, and ran towards them hissing, so Chanel flew, but Coco stood her ground hissing back and fluffing her tail, at which point Lucy decided to run back up to the safety of my room! Then tried coaxing the girls upstairs, Coco carried on hissing, then went round me, Chanel ended up in the kitchen. Once safely back, I gave them all dreamies, which didn't really pacify Coco, I just managed to stop Lucy from hiding under the bed, got back in bed, as this was all before the alarm went off, Lucy forgot she wanted to go downstairs and came for a cuddle till the alarm went off. Coco was still wary at breakfast time, unlike Chanel, but by teatime, I managed to get this pic, which is a rarity, she normally moves when I get the phone out!
Coco paws f.jpg

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:55 am

One of the beds had been knocked on the floor yesterday, so this is what I discovered when I was sat with them after tea
Attachments
bed shortage.jpg

Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:22 am

Aww.

And there was talk of separating them before. I'm so glad you decided to keep them they look so happy there together.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 am

Yes, that's what I thought when I was looking at them, the fact they are still so close after 2 years, means it would have been cruel to separate

Mayday21
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 4

Post by Mayday21 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:32 am

Phew glad my confusion has been sorted. They definitely needed to be kept together. Vivian

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:20 pm

I think they're settling ... taken a while and a lot of trial and error (the ungrateful little horrors) but by the look of it they're making themselves at home at last. Great photos :)

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 pm

Coco and Lucy met each other again yesterday morning, Lucy flew out at 5 when I got up for a drink, saw Coco on the stairs, tried turning back to go to the bedroom, but the door had shut behind us, so she raced down the stairs hissing, Coco flew into the kitchen, then had to peel a hissing Lucy off her heated bed to drag her back upstairs. Chanel was already back in the room. Hope it doesn’t put Coco off, she looked quite sweet curled up sleeping on the stairs. She was very chilled last night when I sat with them, I had a conversation with her while she was gazing at me, with her eyes flicking like she was processing it! Lucy wasn’t very quick to forgive me though, and I don’t like the idea of her being scared in her own home. The consolation is that while lots of hissing and running, no aggression again. Neighbour wasn’t helpful, saying if I hadn’t done x/y/z it wouldn’t have happened, and that it was Lucy’s fault for rushing out, she’s too used to getting her own way! I woke up early on Sat and they were both still out, but seeing me made them fly back in their room, so even though they are relaxed around me in the safety of their room, they aren’t in the house, I hope that reduces with time, but it’s tricky figuring out a way to let them see me more, I get Lucy in my room before brushing my teeth now so they can see me pottering, but only Chanel contemplates leaving the room then, so I keep dreamies in the bathroom to throw on the landing for her.

Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:37 pm

Hindsight might be wonderful but its only use it to help us work out what to do in the future not to berate us for what was done in the past.

Personally I still think things are going remarkably well, between Lucy, Coco and Chanel, hissing is just their way of trying to sort everything out and work out some form of agreement. Maybe one day they will agree to co habit. At some point it might be worth having a bit of an overlap with them all out and about for a few minutes, supervised, just to see if they will start to shake down, it sounds like they all run for their safe havens when things get too much (unless the door has shut on its own) so they obviously are starting to feel they have places to call their own and a shared area.

As for not letting you close, we have now had Freyja over 4 years, when we got her we couldn't touch her, then I started being able to fuss her on the bed, then when I was sat on the bed she would come wanting fuss. However it is only recently I have managed to give her some fuss when we have been in the kitchen, she might be around wanting to be fed, but reach out for her and she would be off under the dining table, now she might respond and accept the offer of fuss if she feels like it. When she is outside though, she still won't let us near her. I would love to know what goes through her head, why is it perfectly safe to accept a fuss in the bedroom, sometimes in the kitchen but not outside. They say time works wonders, but only if you have the patience to let it take as long as needed.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:58 am

Yes, I’m impressed with how things are going, not only is Lucy just hissing and running away from them, but while she may have kicked up a fuss when I took her back upstairs, she didn’t draw any blood, which is a major improvement, redirected aggression towards other cats outside the house and drawing blood on me was the main reason for making her an only cat. I’m also amazed how well Lucy copes with being shut in my room with me, she has issues with shut doors, which I assume stems from so long in rescue. My neighbour got this pic last night, both were on the windowsill before she got the camera out – she’s convinced this is Chanel, but it looks like Coco to me. My aim isn’t for co-habiting, just finding a way to give the girls more without it being too much for Lucy. I don’t know how easy an overlap would be, as they don’t come out till after my door is shut! If it hadn’t been a work day, I’d have sat downstairs on Tue for a bit to see what would happen. Molly was very much like Freya, she always had an issue with feet, after 5 years I was allowed to get out of bed if she was on the floor, but she never lost her issue with crossing on the stairs, and she seemed to forget I was her mum once we were outside
Coco Lucy bed.jpg

Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Lilith » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:49 am

OOOOOOh, Owly eyes!

I think things are gradually changing by the sound. It would be great if they could all integrate. Not an impossibility; cats are social animals as you of all people will know. Lucy might even come to appreciate the company? If only at a distance. :)

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 pm

Yes, things are improving, although I kind of miss Chanel playing! unfortunately with the layout of the house and the cats needs, integration isn't the aim, Lucy can't cope with the front door shutting when she goes out, and I have an open plan house, so there is too much risk of them getting out. Plus the food issue, these like to graze and Lucy likes to eat!

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 pm

I tried Ruth's suggestion when I let them out Sun evening, and didn’t fully shut Lucy in my room before opening their door, not sure whether she came out to steal the dreamie I’d thrown for Chanel or she got bored of waiting for me, but I heard a growl while brushing my teeth! They were just both looking at each other from their respective doorways, herded Lucy back in (impressively again with no blood drawn) and told Chanel she was a good girl. Not sure I’ll do it very often, don’t want to put Chanel off, hope the opportunity arises one weekend to let Lucy out of my room while Coco is still out and sit with them for a few mins.

Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Ruth B » Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:42 pm

It sounds promising, at least you know that if something happens and they do end up both out of their rooms at the same time, it is unlikely to end with blood and fur everywhere.

In the end you know your house and your cats best and have the best understanding of what is and isn't possible, and what causes the least stress to you, your family and the cats.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Well, Chanel was funny last night, I shut Lucy in my room then opened their door while brushing my teeth, she came to the door fairly quickly and looked left and right as if checking the coast was clear, so better not do that too often.