Coco and Chanel dilemma

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Coco and Chanel dilemma

Post by Mollycat » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Wow that must be such a great feeling!

Just a thought about hissing, my Molly is very hissy, the hissiest cat I have ever met for sure, but at times it feels like just an extension of the lashing tail - not so much directed at anyone as an instant expression of a thought that crosses her mind. Molly hisses to herself, rather than at anyone (except the dog of course!) I think of it as only one side of the dilemma in her mind, she wants the closeness but is afraid of it. Does this ring like a possibility with your girls?

Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:05 pm

Always great to see updates on these two, particularly when it is such good news, i know how much being able to just rub behind the ear with one finger can mean, I will never forget the first time Freyja let me do it.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:58 pm

It was, I just have to watch myself for pushing her too much now, or it might be another 2 years! Funny you should say that about hissing, Lucy and Coco hiss at me daily, I see it as a term of endearment and respond to Coco by saying I love you too! Lucy hisses most when I go to let her out, stems from my neighbours cat sitting on the doorstep. He's been dead over 12 months but she hasn't stopped, guess she never will. I think Chanel definitely wants it but I think is out off by her mum's reaction - last week I was letting Chanel sniff my finger and Coco drew blood.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:06 pm

Really pleased, last night Chanel actually ate part of her supper biscuits from my hand and this morning she came and rubbed my legs while I was dishing out breakfast, cant remember the last time she did that, and ate a couple of her breakfast biscuits off my hand. It was funny last night, Coco was watching her with a puzzled look, as its normally only Coco who will eat off my hand

Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:20 pm

I thought of something else, Molly makes a bold step forward and then withdraws as if she has scared herself because she's gone too far for comfort. We've all noticed it - one day she is all cuddly and then the next few days she runs away and gets all skittish. Does that sound like your girls too?

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:26 pm

I don't think so, but one thing I find odd is that I sit with them multiple times a day for varying lengths of time, most of the time they take no notice of me, but if I've had a busy few days and not spent as much time with them, Coco is more hissy and a bit off with me, so she clearly appreciates it more than she let's on

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:14 pm

Well, they have been here 3 years today! When Chanel was watching me brush my teeth (her latest obsession, watching me in the bathroom!!) on Sun night, I was telling her that I never expected them to still be here, I remember when she was nice kitten, and I was hopeful that in a month or so she would be tame enough to rehome, but that only lasted a week! They have really come on this year, think part of that is me being around more, and they certainly enjoy ‘girls night out’ – to the point they often walk out as I walk in, they don’t even wait for their supper (which is mad, as they don’t always eat their tea before they get supper!).

As you can see, they are still very close, and for once, it’s not because they have knocked one of the beds over, so have to share (and I think the heating was on at the time!). I’m really glad I was able to persuade the manager to let me take them both – there is a chance Chanel would have been homeable if they had stayed separate, but it still would have needed a particular kind of home, and I doubt Coco would have been as good. I think there is a chance Coco will accept more than Chanel, when I blow her kisses, she is quite curious and her nose twitches a lot, I asked her at the weekend if she knew what kisses were. She is also more confident, she watched me brush my teeth last week and didn’t move when I did, whereas Chanel flies when I move in the bathroom. Also if my neighbour is out when they are sat on the windowsill, its always Chanel who moves before Coco. I did say this morning to them that maybe in another 3 years I might be able to stroke them!

The three of them did accidentally meet the other week, Coco just wandered back into their room, Chanel however just followed Lucy and sat a distance from her gazing at her! Surprisingly enough, Lucy hasn’t been keen to do that again. I do often wish I won the lottery (even though I don’t play it!!) so I could buy my next door neighbours house for the girls to have more space.
1601381639457.jpeg
1601381639457.jpeg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 32 times

Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by Ruth B » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:26 pm

Great to hear an update and that they are all doing so well (including Lucy).

Separating those two would have been heartbreaking, they are clearly so close. While you can look and always wish for a lottery win to make things better for them, they are far better off now than they could have been, separated, with someone who didn't understand timid cats, or relegated to the status of barn cats. They certainly look happy enough curled up together.

Freyja, my nervous girl, has now been with me 4 and a half years, she will happily accept, even demand, a fuss when she wants, and sometimes even stand on my knee as long as I'm sitting quietly. I accept that I will always have to love her on her terms and she will never be the cuddle cat that my other old girl is. She is now over due her booster vaccinations, so I'm at that point of wondering how best to time things to get her in the carrier (I can only pick her up if she is relaxed on the bed). Limited appointments at the vets, and not being able to be in the surgery with her is making it all the more stressful this year.

Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Kay » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:43 pm

They seem to be content with their lives - I must admit I have had to revise my opinion on what cats need to be happy, since I got Penny - she spends 60% of her time in my bedroom, alone, and goes out into the enclosed garden only once or twice a week for 10 minutes max. She is very bonded with me, and spends her evenings and night next to me, but her lack of interest in the outside world is so different from any other of the many cats I have had before her.

I suppose the fact is that timid cats value feel safe above all other factors.

Mollycat
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Mollycat » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:12 am

Never lose hope but never find an expectation.

Every morning as I scrunch Molly's ears or burrow her face in my hand, kiss her tummy or simply rest my cheek on her thigh, I remember a long time when I believed I would never be able to stroke her. She is nowhere near as bad as your two and yet was still the worst I have ever known personally.

Maybe C&C have benefited more than you'd expect from time out of their safe room, and the chance to explore. I seem to remember studies found that cats in densely populated areas can time-share territory to avoid fights but still have some space, maybe that's what Lucy and C&C are currently doing with the night time wanderings? It could be a healthy thing for them, the challenge of another cat's territory and scent, but nothing bad happens and it's still all safe.

booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by booktigger » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:30 am

They were so funny last night, Coco has taken to scratching the carpet when she comes out of their room, I went to see if she was using the new scratch mat last night and she looked backwards at me while moving away! Then when I was brushing my teeth, I just saw the tip of her tail, so asked her if she was hiding, she actually turned round and peeked at me round the banister, but then Chanel ruined it by trying to rub against her - I do wonder if Chanel is a bit jealous, when her mum is doing interactive things that she normally does. Either that, or she's just been very boisterous this week.

I'm the same Ruth, we had to stop Lucy's acupuncture due to Covid, luckily she is fine on gabapentin as the next option is injections, but as I can't go in with her, chances of a very being able to di anything is slim! She is also getting a bit matted round her bad hip, she only tolerates being brushed at the vet! She has at least let me get some out without biting, which is a first, she has mellowed a lot this year.

Bless Penny Kay. I'm used to cats being indifferent to outdoors, Molly was an indoor cat by choice for years, then at 18 decided it was ok again!

Yes, they do seem to appreciate it, ironically the majority of the time they are back in their room in the morning (good at telling the time!), but when I go down to get bowls, they like to follow me down, so I sit on the sofa for 5 mins checking the phone while they gaze at me! Nicer than being watched while in the bathroom

fjm
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Post by fjm » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:39 am

They really have come a long, long way. Their lives sound pretty idyllic to me - safe, warm, able to watch the world, the excitement of exploring the house with no pressure, and a dedicated human to feed them and provide entertainment! And best of all, still together.