Pet Insurance

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Pet Insurance

Post by AndyMac »

I adopted Mia a few weeks ago and have been given 4 weeks free insurance from PetPlan. She is 2 and a domestic moggy. I looked at their website with the idea of extending this but the prices seem very high:

£11.37pm for 12 months Essential cover
£15.70pm for Covered4Life Classic
£25.17 pm for Covered4Life Essential.

I went on to price comparison websites and again they seem to be high for cat insurance. The vet I have Mia registered with advertise PetPlan and when I had my previous cat Jet at the vets on numerous occasions I remember a lot of customers seemed to be with PetPlan also. I did not have insurance for Jet so not sure if these prices are competitive.

Can anyone recommend the best insurance to get or is it worth my while paying insurance.
cyberkath
Frequent Cat Chatter
No. of cats in household: 1

Re: Pet Insurance

Post by cyberkath »

I am looking at pet insurance for my cat, Tom. Have got some leaflets from M&S, John Lewis and Sainsburys can't say if they are cheaper as haven't gone through them yet. I think the co op and ASDA do pet insurance too.
alanc
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by alanc »

Whether you go for insurance or not should depend on whether you can afford to pay £3,000-£4,000 for vet fees in case of a serious accident/illness in the first 4-5 years of your cats life. If you can, then invest the money for them and use that if necessary. If you can't then insurance is probably worthwhile.
Petplan, though more expensive than others have a good reputation of paying up rapidly without quibbling, which when dealing with the stress of a seriously ill or injured cat is a big plus point (as I can vouch from personal experience).
I must say I have been glad I insured Tilly (and Badger). Tilly has managed to cost Petplan some £7,000 over the past 8 years. (Mind you my previous cat Honey didn't cost them anything in the 12 years I had her.)
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

Sadly it isnt as cheap as it used to be, Alan's advice is Good, I would hate to be in a position where I had to have a cat PTS because I couldn't afford the treatment. This is the first time I've used petplan but last year even the claims staff were surprised they'd paid in 3 days! And my vets do direct claims so I hardly pay