Help!

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
loopylou36
New Cat Chatter

Help!

Post by loopylou36 »

hi all, i have a female neutered part bengal cat approx 3/4 yrs old, had her for over 2 yrs now, was a nightmmare when i first had her but settled down eventually. in the last few weeks i,ve had problems keeping her in at all, she out all night and only coming in once in the day but not staying and not eating either. i,ve changed her food regularly,offered chicken,tuna even fresh fish but to no avail. she has lost so much weight nw its scaring me. she seems her fine lively self though.xx
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 2

Re: Help!

Post by KittyWitty »

Is she possibly being fed somewhere else and they think she is a stray?

If I was you I'd put a paper collar on her (if she does't wear a collar already) with your contact details asking person to contact you.

Another suggestion is to lock your baby in when thy next come home for a few weeks - will help her re-recogonise your house as home
loopylou36
New Cat Chatter

Post by loopylou36 »

she comes in and makes sure she marks her territory and she has a collar on with my name and number written inside. its driving me crazy because she looks so thin yet she seems ok in herself.x
KittyWitty
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by KittyWitty »

Maybe the best thing to do then is to keep her in for a while then? May drive her crazy for a little while but she'll soon get used to it. Better that than her disappearing all together
loopylou36
New Cat Chatter

Post by loopylou36 »

Ok, thanks, i just worry because she looks so thin,maybe i will keep her in for a while then. thanks
Hunnybunny
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by Hunnybunny »

The weight loss is certainly a concern and one would have thought that if she was being fed elsewhere she wouldn't be loosing weight.

Personally, if she was mine I'd want a vets opinion as there is certainly a reason for her behaviour and physical condition that needs getting to the bottom of.
meriad
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 6

Post by meriad »

when was she last wormed? I would suspect that your girl is actively out hunting hence not eating much when she comes home. But the downside of 'free range' mice and birds is that your cat most likely will get worms which in turn can cause weight loss

If she does hunt then, check with your vet, but you may need to worm every month or at a minimum every two months
lilynmitz
VIP Cat Chatter!

Post by lilynmitz »

With that level of weight loss, regardless of what she's doing or where she's going when she's out, definitely get her to a vet. This really needs to be taken seriously and checked out, as it could be due to an underlying medical condition that needs treating. So.... Vet. Now!