Cat Toys for Outside

For all your feline miscellany - any interesting stories, news or subjects that do not fit in the other sections.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Cat Toys for Outside

Post by AndyMac »

I adopted Mia a few weeks now and she is more confident about being out in the garden. I wondered if there are any toys that would keep her amused whilst outside. She found a large feather yesterday and she had great fun wondering what it was and playing with it until she brought it into the house as if it was prey and I was scared she may ingest it so I took it off her and binned it.

I just wondered if anyone has any ideas what she could play with outside - she seems to be afraid of things that make noises and she doesnt seem to interested in the toys she has for indoors - the stuffed animals etc.....
Ruth B
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Re: Cat Toys for Outside

Post by Ruth B »

I've never bothered with toys for outside to be honest, nature seems to provide plenty to keep my lot entertained, feathers like she has already found, long grasses, fallen leaves and of course, moths which have been the firm favourite of several cats, even to the extent that they will carry them back inside, still alive, to let them go so they can play with them inside.

I would have thought most plastic or foam toys, such as balls would be alright as getting wet wouldn't bother them. i have also used the Flying Frenzy toy outside, with the long wand and string it really comes into its own where they have space to really chase it around, but as always it is carefully put away when i'm not playing with them.
booktigger
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 3

Post by booktigger »

I don't bother with outdoor toys either, Lucy likes finding feathers, but I let her keep them.
AndyMac
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 0

Post by AndyMac »

Thanks - tbh I was afraid that Mia would eat the feather so I took it of her.

She is having fun chasing insects and moths in the evenings but other times she just sits at the bottom of the garden and thought I may be able to get something to keep her amused in the grass - I have been letting it grow so she can play and hide. I may get one of her toys and attach it to a long piece of string and throw it down the garden to her and slowly pull it back up the grass to see if that stimulates her.
Kay
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Kay »

the most fun my two ever had outside in their enclosure was with a dried up hydrangea flower head - if I don't count the fun Tiffany has had with the shrews that get through the mesh, that is

when Mia just sits in the garden apparently doing nothing she might well be listening out for the rustling that means a small furry beastie is waiting to have some fun with her
Lilith
VIP Cat Chatter!
No. of cats in household: 1

Post by Lilith »

We have a 'wigwag' - wiggly waggler, from the Catchat store, that lives in the laundry basket and comes out on fine days - Molly loves to hug and kick it. She has an upstairs one as well.

Pingpong balls are great, but the first time Moll met one it bounced up and bopped her on the nose ...

We also have several cabbage white butterflies, a blue chalk and a RARE COMMA, which Molly has been threatened about. Luckily it's a fast flier, unlike the dozy cabbages ... shamefully the other day one of those was found with shredded wings ... :(

The worst episode was years ago, a brimstone moth ... sadly mourned ... :(